16 - Reapers

༻✦༺
Cʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ 16
༻✦༺

3.8k words

(y/n)'s POV
I was alone, but not for long.

I sat in the island chair, and waited for my father to come through the front door. I had questions that have been itching in the back of my throat, since Anakin told me that it was my dad who arrested him over a year ago.

And finally, after hearing the slamming of a truck door, and the sound of keys jingling into the lock; I was going to get those answers.

My front door pushed open, and my dad walked in with a wide yawn. He closed it behind him and rubbed his tired eyes as he began walking to the stairs - clearly not noticing that I was down here waiting for him.

I dramatically cleared my throat, and he paused with one foot on the bottom step. He tilted his head past the railing to look at me and furrowed his brows, "What are you doing awake this late?" He walked towards me instead of going to up to bed.

"I was waiting for you actually," I revealed as he sat in the chair next to me, and I turned in mine so I was facing him.

"Oh?" He rested his elbow on the island, and laid his head in his palm, "Did everything go okay with your date?"

"Dad, I know that you know him," I went straight to the point without beating around the bush, and his eyes widened in surprise as he dropped his hand down onto the table, "What I don't get is why you pretended not to know him."

He sighed, "I wasn't sure if you knew the truth, and I didn't think it was my place to be the one to tell you." He shrugged. "He also had his sister with him, and I know that she doesn't know. I wasn't going to out him in front of you and her." He eyed me like I was insane.

I nodded, completely understanding his reasonings, "So you're okay with me seeing someone like him?" I questioned nervously.

I know he said before that he 'gave his blessing' but that could've easily been out of kindness since my dad isn't a confrontational man, for being a cop. He prefers to speak freely to me when no one else is around. He did that with Clovis, he was nice to his face out of respect for me, but spoke how he really felt about him when we were in private.

He was never a fan. I could have sworn I heard him cheering when I told him we broke up.

My dad remained quiet as he bit the inside of his cheek, "Normally no," He answered honestly without taking his eyes off of the table as he tapped his fingers in a row, "But Anakin is.. different," He glanced up to meet my eyes that were similar in color to his own, "I've been a cop many years sweetie, and it's not difficult to know who the bad seeds are, and who aren't. They could rob an old woman, and smash the window to a car, and I can still believe they're good kids - some just get lost and need more guidance."

"Like Anakin," I spoke my thoughts.

My dad nodded, "Exactly like Anakin. Despite the horrible situation I found him in, I knew he wasn't a bad kid. He just made a stupid mistake, and trusted the wrong person." He sighed sympathetically as he no doubt relived the memory, "So that's why I'm okay with you seeing him. I know who he is, and I know he's filled with more good than bad. Plus he's a borderline genius according to his brother. He'll have a good job in the future and help you pay for a damn good retirement home for me." He joked with a smile, making me chuckle in amusement.