4 - An Audience

༻✦༺
Cʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ 4
༻✦༺

2k words

(y/n)'s POV
I continuously glanced at the clock, impatiently waiting for my time to be off of work. And when I wasn't looking at the clock, I was looking out of the windows; anticipating Anakin's arrival.

I currently had about fifteen minutes left of my time here, and he had promised that he was going to pick me up and take me somewhere, although I'm not sure where. But I didn't care, I enjoyed the mystery, along with his company and his friendship. He was making everything that I was going through more bearable by keeping my mind occupied.

But I'm also slightly nervous that he may have forgotten, since being forgotten was something that I was all too used to. Hence why I keep checking, and growing more anxious by the second.

I looked away from the window and sighed as I went back to counting and writing down what pastries we had left. It's what we do to make sure no employees have been sneaking them on the side without paying or marking them out; since we do get two free ones per shift. Then I heard the bell on the counter being rung, and seeing as I was the only one up front at the moment, it was I who was going to have to take the order.

I set the pen and paper down, and made my way to the register, "Hi what can I get for-" I paused when my eyes landed on the last person I wanted to see right now, "Clovis," I uttered his name in surprise.

He looked a bit startled when he saw me, and awkwardly cleared his throat, "Hey (y/n), um—can I just get two of the ham and cheese croissants?" He asked as he slowly slid a few dollars my way, doing his best not to make eye contact with me.

"And don't forget my orange juice babe," Celeste appeared next to him with a smile. She was still in her cheerleaders uniform, so I'm guessing he picked her up after summer practice; at least her he remembers. Her shining brown eyes shifted to me and she kissed him on the cheek; her gaze never leaving me as she so-obviously taunted me, "Hi (y/n), cute shirt." She ridiculed me with a giggle as she eyed me up and down, before walking away towards a small group of their friends. It held both players from the football team, as well as a few of the other cheerleaders.

Clovis's eyes met mine and they held an apology, "I'm so sorr-"

"Two croissants and an orange juice; coming right up." I cut him off as I accepted the money, and placed it in the register, not bothering to give him his thirty cent change.

I spun around to get his order ready, doing my best to hide the tears that were brimming at my eyes. The fact that he brought her here of all places, knowing this is where I work, was the lowest thing he could have ever done, "I didn't know you worked today or else I never would have agreed to come here." He spoke from behind me, trying to defend his shitty actions.

"It's friday," I faced him as I poured the cup of orange juice, "I work morning to noon every Friday, you would know that if you had bothered to remember my schedule." I snapped, and practically slammed the cup in front of him, and small drops spilled over the side; landing on the white counter, "But no, you forgot, like you used to always forget about me. Leaving me to either walk home alone at night, or how about we talk about prom when you left me there and disappeared so I had to call my dad to get me; were you fucking Celeste then too?" I grabbed his croissants and bagged them during my rant and proceeded to throw them next to the juice. His eyes were wide at my blow-up, since normally I'm very calm and collective. I hardly ever cuss, but this little stunt pushed me over the edge, "I don't actually want that answer, I just want you to stay away from me. So enjoy the croissant, although I do hope you choke." I smiled sarcastically before turning around to get back to my inventory.