Chapter 31 - Complex and Interesting Creatures

Here is a snippet of what Raziel encounters this chapter ^^

Raziel's POV

"Maybe I should come with you," Zorander mutters.

"I think I can handle it," I retort, crossing my arms over my chest.

Zorander snickers and shrugs. "Alright, if you say so. Do you remember what I told you?"

"A cheeseburger with extra cheese and no pickles, large fries and a fruit punch," I reply, rolling my eyes.

Since Kai is still at the hospital visiting Marian with Declan and Lance, I decided to stay with Zorander until Kai returns home. The demon, however, has some work to finish and I'm getting hungry. So, after opening something grey on my phone with white lines and many upside-down raindrops of different colours, he told me to follow the blue path. He called it Google Maps and said that it would lead me to the restaurant where I can buy food.

"I'm leaving, demon," I announce, once again heading towards the door.

Zorander's voice stops me before I can fully exit. "My little angel is ready to go out into the world all by himself."

I spin around to glare at the demon. If I'm anyone's "little angel" it's Kai's, definitely not his. The demon snickers and wipes fake tears from his eyes, but he stops and raises his hands in surrender when he notices my annoyed expression.

Deciding not to reply to his irritating comment, I exit his office and the now deserted school, entering the streets filled with humans as they hurry home from work.

As I follow the blue path, I walk past buildings which shoot up into the air, lording over the tiny humans below them. A silver car waits behind a long line of cars, its driver frowning as they repeatedly tap their fingers against the steering wheel. The smell of fried food, sugary treats and barbecue sauce assaults my nose, the combination of smells sickeningly sweet.

Ahead of me is an extended slab of concrete covered by a paper-thin layer of snow, surrounded by large, colourful screens mounted onto the sides of the buildings. A group of people are huddled in the centre of the square, highly focused on something going on in front of them. Curious to discover what has the humans' attention, I approach the group, peering over the heads of the short humans.

A human with short, dark brown hair and equal dark brown eyes and facial hair is stacking open-ended cylinders, interchanging between placing them horizontally and vertically, until the makeshift cylinder structure is just over half his height. He places a plank of wood on top of them before hoisting himself up onto the stack of cylinders.

My eyes widen as I watch him wobble on the unstable structure before steadying himself. He pulls a stick from behind his back, which is about the length of his arm, and lights both ends on fire before grabbing two shorter sticks from behind his back and lighting one end of each of those sticks on fire.

A gasp escapes me as the human uses the smaller sticks to twirl and toss the bigger stick, all while balancing on the wobbly structure. The fire flickers into a flaming circle, entrancing me and all the other humans watching. We watch the fiery designs flying through the air as he continues to expertly twirl the sticks.

He finishes his act by putting the flames on the ends of the sticks into his mouth, seeming to consume the fire before back flipping off the structure and landing on his feet behind the cylinders which tumble to the ground.

The crowd erupts with applause, and even I am highly impressed by this human. My hands automatically clap along with everyone else's, my jaw still hanging open in awe of the performance.