something curious 2

The first thing Umi willingly did upon returning was to talk to Ethan after class.

"What for?" it was his response after her "Thank you."

"For carrying me when I got sick." Umi dismissed the glances of the few students left in the classroom. "And this." She rummaged through her bag. "Andeng made two for us." She handed him a loop of wooden circles and of various sizes that formed a bracelet. "I'm already wearing one." She raised her wrist, a small smile slipped at the memory of the tribe children.

Then it died just as quick when seconds passed, the bracelet still hung in the air. "Look, it wasn't a big deal. I did that out of responsibility."

"I see." She mimicked the detachment in his voice. It was what she wanted all along, yet her insides twisted for the wish granted.

"Mine!" James appeared from behind and took the bracelet before she could return it to her bag. "Are you wearing one Umi? We're twinning." He raised his hand and bragged. "This looks great, right bro?"

Ethan already left with no response. James shrugged the indifference and followed Umi the whole day, before and after her classes. On one occasion that she was defeated by his insistence, he finally succeeded in typing his number on her phone as 'The Greatest.'

"It's exhausting, isn't it?" he asked once. "Avoiding my charms, I mean." She was aghast at his incredulous statement but shut her mouth. It is tiring, and so she'll wait for him to give up.

__________________

She regretted the lack of judgement. James, in short, was indeed 'The Greatest' when it came to making his presence a permanence. As her first step to defending the remains of her already breaking barriers, Umi admitted defeat on her waiting plan and was back to running away.

It was Thursday, exactly a week after her recovery, she rushed home before 'The Greatest' could thrust food on her arms or worse, coax her to the fast food in front of the school before she knew it. He had done it twice now, and she was now terrified of his aptitude.

Sooner or later, all her defenses will totally collapse.

"I told you to stay away from him!"

Umi's world tilted after a force pushed her from behind. As she rose, a hand pulled her hair and met eyes with the raging Pauline, and her two friends now standing behind her.

"You kept on dragging him, you don't know what he went through."

"I'm not dragging anyone." Umi slapped the hands on her hair.

Pauline's free hand grabbed her other. "And this!"

If only glares could burn, the bracelet on Umi's wrist would have already been in flames. "And this?!"

But it didn't burn. The wooden pieces rained and hit the floor with the sound of rapid faint clicks after Pauline ripped it out of Umi's wrist, and the thin rubber broke.

She wished that glares could really burn and put Pauline in flames. Unfortunately, the latter didn't.

Pauline clamped her mouth and blinked away Umi's hostility and let her go. Umi rose from the floor, quietly picking up the wooden bracelet. Not even a second, the other grabbed her shoulders for forced attention. "Stay away from James!"

Umi stared at her, with no hostility nor feeling of guilt. How come, for one who grew with love and had too much love to give, be hungry for more?

It will kill her one day, Umi thought. This love will destroy Pauline sooner or later. "I pity you." The words left out of her mouth.