5•something temporary

A few days passed and James never approached Umi again. Although they meet in the halls once in a while, he would pass her by without a wave nor a smile, same with the class they have together. It might be about his statement the last time, but she was glad to have her space back.

"Some of you are above eighteen, however, let me remind you that you couldn't join the immersion for this class without the consent forms. I want them signed." Professor Tiu reminded them while the forms were being passed around.

When class was over and the students were gone, Umi approached the teacher, but Ethan beat her first.

"Ma'am, I need to do something on the 17th. I can't join the immersion."

"Mr. Arnullo, I mentioned before that the paper from this trip will impact your grades. Unless you provide a valid reason, doctor's order or any documents for an excuse, I would gladly let you skip."

Her voice was calm but stern. At the age of twenty-nine, she was the youngest in the faculty but had a reputation for strictness.

Ethan scratched his head. "But—"

An inquisitive look for Professor Tiu and he mumbled "Nothing. Thanks." He turned and almost collided with Umi waiting for her turn and flinched when he slammed the door. "Ms. Salceda, you too?"

"Ma'am, about consent..." She fumbled for the right words.

"What about it?"

"Can I come even without a signature?"

"No, you can't," she answered, stacking paper without a glance at Umi. "They needed to be signed by your parents."

"...I, they're not available."

"Any relatives?"

"None that I know of."

"How about your guardian?"

"...Myself."

From her paper, the professor finally looked at Umi. Her expression compelled her to repeat the answer.

"I'm my own guardian, Ma'am."

With the professor's silence, Umi bowed her head and raised it just as quickly by the reply.

"Give me your paper, I'll sign it."

"Yes?"

"I said, I'll sign it for you."

Umi did not question if it was legally allowed and handed the paper to the professor. "How old are you, Miss Salceda?

"Nineteen."

She nodded and handed her pen back. "As long as you're careful. Since I'll be your guardian on the consent papers, you're a double responsibility. If you don't have anything to ask, you can go."

"Thank you..." she said. Umi left, returning her pen inside her bag and collided with another outside the classroom.

"Look where you're going," It was Ethan. She watched his retreating back, asking why he hadn't left yet or if he heard the conversation. She came up with no answer.

__________________

On the day of immersion, the bus arrived at the entry point to the tribe site. "Stick to your buddy," Professor Tiu reminded. "You're no longer children, follow the rules. You'll be assigned to your respected huts and family. You've been oriented, so please, don't make me repeat myself. Do you understand?"

Everyone replied a lifeless, "Yes."

"Good. Fifteen minutes before the hike. According to the guide, we should be there for about an hour or less."