1•something unforgettable

Umi forgets a lot of things; project deadlines, the ratio of milk to coffee and looking out for cars when crossing the street. Most of all, she now forgot her ten-minute rule in the cafeteria as she slowly chewed the sandwich.

She only had one problem today, and that was the school staff checking the solar panels on the rooftop. So she had no choice but to leave her private lunch space and eat with people.

Real people with real opinions.

It would be nice if they left her alone. Stares and whispers don't kill people as well. However, her one problem sprouted another one.

"Were you with Vince last night?"

Umi hated confrontation. And the woman in front of her wanted one.

Who is this? Is she on the list of the things she forgot? She racked her brain and the only thing she could blame was her reputation. Allegedly, she flirted with Aly's boyfriend, Maxine's best friend's boyfriend or that one reserved guy from the basketball team who couldn't shoot a ball for the life of him.

Gender didn't matter too, or the number of people. Fame and possibilities are endless for the campus whore, after all.

Most of all, she played her role well. "I'm sorry. Was that your boyfriend? I forgot to ask his name."

"So you were really with Vince last night."

She didn't even know the guy nor would she bother to. "What are you gonna do about it?"

The splash of cold soda spread to her hair and her clothes. Umi sighed at her half-eaten sandwich, disappointed that she wasn't able to enjoy the cafeteria lady's generosity put in her ham. She chastised herself. Next time, she would wear a thicker shirt that won't trace her bra even if they dunk her in a pool.

With the attention on them, she combed the wet hair with her fingers. She licked drops on the corners of her mouth, annoyed that she wasn't able to finish her drink as well. Slowly and seductively, she raised her shirt like a Magdalene, enticing the spectators eager for drama and a clearer view of her underwear.

"Can you do this?" she dared. "I can. That's why I'm more exciting than you."

The women gasped, others whistled and were followed by whispers. "Uh-uh. I'll undress, but not here."

Anger was long gone on the girl's face and her eyes welled with tears. Maybe she already knew the truth. Or maybe she just needed someone to blame and the campus whore was the perfect scapegoat.

After all, it was just one incident that plunged Umi into the infamous label. What followed next were unfounded rumors with the only evidence that she sullied her reputation once. Just once, caught in pictures, shared online and feasted upon private group chats.

Umi leaned forward and whispered. "Coward." Then she left.

"Aren't you cold? Take that off," someone called out when she was walking the hallway to the farthest restroom.

She stopped and turned to the speaker. "Wanna watch, pervert?"

"A pervert?" The stranger pointed to himself. "This face?" He grinned as if they had known each other for a long time. He took off his jacket and reached out. "Here."

With the cold and shame finally seeping in, Umi accepted the offer. "What in return?"

He clicked his tongue and frowned. "You didn't even ask my name. And dude, smile. You're like a robot on default."

"What in return?" she repeated the question, not fooled by his bright eyes as brown as the soda spilt on her earlier.

The stranger shrugged, unashamed of the pink berry pattern and bold letters of "Spicy Berry" printed on his shirt. "A smile would do."

With her fingers, Umi stretched the corners of her lips for the payment and frowned just as quickly. "How can I return this? It's the last day of the semester."

It was the first time she met him. She would have known if he was a student and she would have fled the opposite direction. She hated people with bright clear eyes. They blind her.

"Give it back on summer classes."

Umi watched his retreating back and a wave. She then turned a corner to the restroom and was grabbed by the arm before she could enter.

"Where's James?"

Angry pair of black eyes met hers. Umi gasped, as time stopped, opposite to the flood of memories in her head.

She knew that face. She knew it very well. And it has been a year since she saw it. Only then she woke up from the pain in her arm and the panic rising from being touched. "Let go."

He did, glaring at the jacket. "Who gave it to you?"

"...Don't know his name."

She prided herself on excellent responses, of cold and calculated words. Yet as of the moment, her reply was only a whisper. She recalled the word.

Overwhelmed, was it?

She forgot.

It must be the feeling finally facing someone only recalled in memory, her only best memory. Was it like a meal after a famine, water after thirst and life after death? Umi would have laughed at the analogy, but she could only clench her hands.

If she could forget everything and choose only one, it would be a night with him, under the stars and an echo of bass from the gymnasium that filled their silence.

"That's his, isn't it?" he inquired.

"Maybe"

"That is custom made. Take it off."

Umi blinked. The deep voice and his smiles drove her crazy back then.

"I said, take that off."

"Oh my gosh!" A gasp woke her up, from a pair of girls a few steps away. Based on the reaction, they heard the last thing he said.

Excellent. New gossip again. "If you want to watch me flirt, a thousand pesos each. If you don't have money, leave."

The two scampered with whispers. Umi ignored the man's frown and took off the jacket. Only then his expression changed at the view of her wet shirt, sticking to her bra. He looked away.

"Tell him thanks."

She braved herself and thrust the jacket into his hands. Wordless, she entered the restroom. A small smile crept on her lips as she walked away from her best memory, Ethan.