His Last Vow (Part 4)

Start from the beginning

Lastly, Sherlock staggered up the last of the steps. You gasped and rushed towards him. "Oh, Sherlock." You immediately let him wrap one of his arms around your shoulders for support. You helped him step just inside the flat.

"Sherlock," Mrs. Hudson cried. "Oh, good gracious, you look terrible."

"Get me some morphine from your kitchen," He instructed her. "I've run out."

"I don't have any morphine."

"Then what exactly is the point of you?"

"Sherlock!" You hissed.

Mrs. Hudson then spoke the question on your mind, "What is going on?"

"Bloody good question," John answered a bit viciously.

"The Watsons are about to have a domestic," Sherlock said and your sights narrowed directly on John, "and fairly quickly, I hope, because we've got work to do."

"Work?" You questioned. "Sherlock, you're in no condition for working. You need to go back to the hospital."

"All in good time, y/n," He assured you.

John suddenly interrupted the conversation. "You know, I've got a question." He looked towards Mary very angrily. "Is everyone I've met a psychopath?"

Everyone was silent. Sherlock looked up in thought before answering. "Yes."

You blinked in surprise at him. Mary simply nodded in agreement.

"Good, we've settled that," Sherlock said. "Anyway, we-"

"SHUT UP!" John shouted.

You and Mrs. Hudson jumped when he yelled. You felt Sherlock grip your shoulder for a moment, either to comfort you or to re-balance himself. You weren't sure.

"And stay shut up," John continued, his voice lowered to a normal pitch, "because this is not funny. Not this time."

"I didn't say it was funny," Sherlock said with a shake of his head.

John spun around to look at his wife. "You." He stared at her with such anger. "What have I ever done...hmm?...my whole life...to deserve you?"

"Everything." Sherlock panted.

You felt him lean a bit more on you. You looked at him and saw how difficult it was for him to be standing.

John faced his friend. "Sherlock, I've told you..." He stepped forward. "...shut up."

"Oh, I mean it, seriously." Sherlock's voice came out quietly. "Everything-everything you've ever done is what you did."

John spoke again, his voice barely above a whisper but still very threatening, "Sherlock, one more word and you will not need morphine."

You attempted to place yourself between him and Sherlock—a protective barrier—while still supporting the detective. Deep down, though, you knew John wouldn't hurt him.

"You were a doctor who went to war," Sherlock said. "You're a man who couldn't stay in the suburbs for more than a month before storming a crack den and beating up a junkie."

You watched John. His murderous expression frightened you. You'd never seen him like this before.

Sherlock continued, "Your best friend is a sociopath who solves crimes as an alternative to getting high." He paused for a moment and took in a breath. "That's me by the way..." He waved, "...hello. On top of that, you have y/n who follows us around on our cases. Y/n, who is in love..." The detective stopped his sentence short and gulped. This gave him enough time to reformulate the rest of the sentence. "...with the thrill of the chase." He then pointed to Mrs. Hudson. "Even the landlady used to run a drug cartel."