The Empty Hearse (Part 2)

You returned home from work completely exhausted. It was only two in the afternoon, but after an early morning shift like that, you had good reason to be tired. You almost didn't hear the sound of voices coming from upstairs. Your eyebrows furrowed in confusion when you became fully aware of them.
Curiosity getting the better of you, you ascended the stairs and entered Sherlock's old flat. Just inside the room, you saw Mrs. Hudson smiling in delight. When you looked towards the kitchen, you were happily surprised to see John Watson.

You gasped. "John!"

He smiled. "Hello, y/n!"

You immediately stepped up to him and hugged him. It had been quite a while since you'd seen the former army doctor.

"It's been too long," You commented.

"I agree."

You pulled away and that was when you fully took notice of his new mustache.

"Oh," You said a bit startled. "Nice, uhm..." You motioned to the area around your upper lip and then pointed to his mustache. "...uhh, ya know..."

John rubbed his mustache awkwardly. You too sensed the awkwardness of the situation and cleared your throat.

"Anyway, what brings you here?"

Everyone seemed grateful for the quick change of subject.

"Ah, well, I have some news," John said.

You glanced at Mrs. Hudson who was still smiling brightly. You couldn't help but smile yourself. "By the look on Mrs. Hudson's face, I deduce that it is good news?"

John chuckled and looked at the ground for a moment. "Well, yes! Very good news in fact."

You raised an eyebrow as you waited for him to relay his 'very good news.'

"I am getting married."

You gasped and covered your mouth. John laughed at your reaction.

"You're kidding!"

He shook his head. "Nope."

You squealed in happiness and pulled him into another hug. He happily returned the favor, laughing in delight.

"I'm so happy for you!" You pulled away. "What's her name?"

"Mary. Mary Morstan."

He said her name with such affection that it caused a tingling feeling to run down your spine. You could tell that he loved this woman. It reminded you of how you would speak of Sherlock, back when he was...

You shook that thought aside. "Well, Mary Morstan is a very lucky woman."

John smiled appreciatively. "And I am a very lucky man. She's great!"

"I believe it! And I hope to meet her soon."

"Of course!" He nodded. "Perhaps I could introduce you tomorrow?"

"Tomorrow would be wonderful!"

Mrs. Hudson, who was still in the room with the two of you, clapped her hands happily.

"How wonderful! A wedding!"

"It's going to be such fun!" You added.

"Yes, I'm very, very excited," John agreed. "I will be proposing tonight."

"Well, well, Mr. Romance, what a special night tonight will be."

John smiled sweetly. "It will be the best night of my life."

***

John's so-called best night of his life turned out to be a whirlwind of mixed emotions. Not just for the former army doctor, but for everyone. For tonight was the night that Sherlock Holmes decided to reveal himself to all of his friends.