His Last Vow (Part 2)

"Oi! Watch it!" You snapped at the security man who was patting you down.

Of course, you knew it was their job to make sure you weren't armed, but that didn't make it any less awkward when they got close to the...more unpleasant areas.
Sherlock stood next to you, the same process being applied to him. He wasn't as jumpy as you were though.

Another security man walked up to John. "Sir?"

John glanced over at you and Sherlock. He cleared his throat. "Can I have a moment?"

Everyone stared at him, a bit confusedly. Sherlock jumped in to defend him. "Oh, he's fine."

The man looked at Sherlock before proceeding to pat John down. It was a bit awkward for the army doctor. "Er, I...right. I should probably tell you..." The man pulled out a knife from John's jacket pocket. "Okay, I..." John pointed at it. "...that." Pulling open his jacket, the man found a tyre lever tucked in his pants.

You and Sherlock watched with stunned expressions.

John leaned forward to the security man. "Doesn't mean I'm not pleased to see you."

The man did not look amused. John cleared his throat awkwardly and looked down.

"I can vouch for this man," Sherlock chimed in. "If you know who I am, then you know who he is..." He looked towards the door as someone else entered. "...don't you, Mr. Magnussen?"

You felt your breath hitch in your throat at the sight of him. You couldn't explain it. Just something about him caused you to feel instantly uneasy.

Sherlock continued, "I understood we were meeting at your office."

Magnussen looked about the room. "This is my office."

Your eyebrows furrowed. You watched him walk towards the sofa. He then looked across at the three of you. His sights were fixed on John first.

"Well, it is now," He clarified. He sat down on the sofa.

Sherlock dove right in to the matter that had been brought to him some time ago. "Mr. Magnussen, I have been asked to intercede with you by Lady Elizabeth Smallwood on the matter of her husbands letters."

You did your best to keep your expression stoic, even though this was the first time you were hearing this information.

"Some time ago you...put pressure on her concerning those letters."

Magnussen didn't appear to be listening to him at all. He looked up at the detective.

"She would like those letters back," Sherlock finished.

Magnussen said nothing. He simply kept watching him. It confused you, but it also reminded you of when Sherlock would observe someone. Perhaps this was what Magnussen was doing. He was analyzing Sherlock. Did this mean he had already analyzed John?

Sherlock attempted to bring attention back to the case. "Obviously the letters no longer have any practical use to you, so with that in mind..." He trailed off as Magnussen let out a quiet laugh. The detective sighed, exasperated. "Something I said?"

"No, no," Magnussen assured him. "I-I was reading." He adjusted his glasses a bit. "There's rather a lot."

Sherlock frowned in annoyance.

Before anyone said anymore, Magnussen spoke one word that caused a reaction from both you and Sherlock. "'Redbeard.'"

Your heart practically stopped. Your eyes went wide—really wide—and you gasped. Your childhood memories flashed rapidly across your mind. You suddenly felt lost...