todoroki | singing

genre: soulmates; fluff

1190 words

third person pov

todoroki was hanging out in the common room with deku and bakugo like usual. there was no one else around and it was quite peaceful. bakugo was on his phone, deku was scribbling in his notebook and shoto was reading a book.

friday evenings were usually more lively but since the holidays started, most people went to visit their families. todoroki was fully focused on his book when the sound of faint singing caught his attention. he almost fell off the couch as it surprised him.

"is she singing again?" izuku asked innocently, peering over the edge of his notes. shoto just sighed and readjusted himself.

"yeah" he replied. he had gotten used to it mostly, but sometimes it would catch him off guard. soulmates could hear each other sing so it gave him some sense of happiness to hear the familiar voice that he had grown to like.

"don't you get tired of it?" bakugo grunted without his usual angry tone.

"no. it's comforting, it makes me feel safe." shoto said while glancing at bakugo.

he wasn't lying, although sometimes he wondered if his soulmate was sad because todoroki never tried singing. it must be hard to live in a world where everyone can hear their soulmate sing except for you.

todoroki couldn't focus on the book until his soulmate stopped her jamming session. he found it cute that she would sing so often, she sounded happy and carefree.

/ time skip /

the holidays went by really fast and before the students knew it, school started again. it was the second half of the year and class 1-A was no exception.

aizawa entered the class, although it was unusual for him not to be in his sleeping bag. deku got nervous, he looked at todoroki and they both noted that he was going to be talking about something serious. aizawa looked tired as always, but he greeted the class and began talking.

"listen here everyone. there is a new student joining our class. you are to make her feel welcome and don't make her uncomfortable. got it?"

(wow a transfer student such an original idea)

the class murmured, "okay" and "yes sir" could be heard faintly.

y/n shyly walked into the class once she got the signal from their teacher. she stopped next to the podium as aizawa asked her to introduce herself. she looked at him nervously and turned to the class.

"hello... i'm y/n l/n. i'm very glad to be here and i hope we will get along well." she said, her cheeks turning slightly pink.

todoroki wasn't really paying much attention until he hear her voice. it was so familiar, yet he couldn't remember where he heard something like that. he thought of his soulmate, but surely this wasn't her that would be too good to be true. nevertheless he decided to keep an eye on her and make sure she was okay.

aizawa pointed her to her seat and announced that everyone has a few minutes to introduce themselves to the new girl. he then grabbed his sleeping bag and hibernated himself. y/n slowly made her way to her desk and put her bag down.

"hey, nice to meet you! i'm mina ashido!"

"hello! i'm deku! what's your quirk?"

"hey y/n, i think you're super manly. my name's kirishima-"

half of the class was swooning over y/n like some poor zoo animal. she nervously smiled and said hi to everyone but was obviously uncomfortable with all the people bombarding her with introductions and questions.

"move, she can't pay attention to all of you at the same time. have some manners." shoto said with a blank face, staring at his classmates. they apologised and took turns talking with the new girl, it was much more calm and understandable.

y/n was glad that they didn't just ignore her or it would have been super embarrassing. she answered their questions one by one but she couldn't get her mind off the guy sitting next to her. he didn't even introduce himself, yet she was drawn to him for no reason.

she admired his split hair and started wondering what his power was, where he came from, what his name was... she was getting very curious out of nowhere.

the day passed and y/n was bringing the boxes into her dorm room. she was humming to herself in the hallway. as soon as all the boxes were in the room, she started singing while unpacking her stuff.

todoroki was accompanying deku to ask uraraka if she wanted to study with them. he was quite bored until he heard the oh so familiar sound of his singing soulmate. this time it felt a but different, but he couldn't seem to find a reason why. he enjoyed the sound of her soft singing, but stopped in his tracks when he passed a door and heard the voice get fainter.

that never happened before. it sounded more real this time, and not just in his head. he was so curious that he wandered back a few meters and listened for her voice.

the singing started again after a pause and now he was sure it wasn't in his head. she was real, and she was on the other side of the door. his heart rate picked up and he felt slightly excited, something which was rare coming from him.

he couldn't help but knock on the door with a small blush on his face. when it opened his eyes went wide, he was surprised.

"y-y/n?" he stuttered.

"huh? what are you doing here-" she exclaimed slightly embarrassed. did he hear her sing? she hoped not, it was something she only did in private. "can i uh... help you?"

todoroki didn't know what to say, he didn't have a plan. how would he tell her?

"i came to ask if you needed help with unpacking. also, i'm todoroki shoto." he said after spotting a large cardboard box in y/n's room. "i don't have anything to do and i thought it would be nice to get to know you better." he added.

even todoroki had to admit that it was out of character but he really wanted to get to know y/n, she was his soulmate after all.

y/n felt happy that he asked, the idea of having someone to talk to while unpacking sounded nice. "s-sure, why not. come in." she said and moved out of the way so he could enter her plain room.

they spent the afternoon together, talking about their lives and getting to know one another. the room was now decorated and her belongings were neatly placed in their places. y/n was really happy that she already made a friend on her first day, she was very fond of shoto so soon.

while she was thinking about how nice he was to help her, todoroki was slowly falling for y/n. something about her captivated him and he found himself wanting to spend every minute with her.