Anchor

A/N: I loved this song of the Deluxe album so much, I just had to write this.

~~~~

Every time that you tell me you want it
I can read your mind and I'm not even on it

And now I see it, feel it, clearer than the morning
If you're gonna go, then give a warning
I don't wanna be the rock that holds you down

"And then he just left..."

Mitch joined his best friend on the sofa and handed him a glass of water. He didn't know what to say, hadn't expected to find the blonde on his doorstep in tears just fifteen minutes ago.

"Why?"

Scott shrugged his shoulders. "I don't know," he said, stifling another sob. "He just left. Said it was all too much. And I don't get it. He can't just leave everything behind, Mitch. If... if he is leaving, it's not just me. He's leaving this life. Pentatonix, everything. Mitch, that can't be happening."

Mitch had a lot of questions and he was shocked, but he knew that he needed to be there for his best friend. "Focus on yourself, first. We'll handle everything else when it's time to do so, okay?"

"But... he left. What are we going to do? Mitch, the band, everything" Scott spoke up again.

"Scott, for fucks sake, the band is not important right now," Mitch said a bit louder. "You are important."

"But we need to do something." Scott put his water down. "Should we call Esther? Maybe she knows something. And we need to inform Kirstie and Kevin."

Mitch sighed. He knew that Scott always wants to do things in such situations, after all this wasn't the first breakup they were experiencing together. "I get that, Scott. And we will do these things eventually. But not now, okay? Now I want you to sit back and talk to me. Just the two of us."

"But the band..."

"We'll tackle that in due time, Scott. For now, we're on our break and Kirstie and Kevin are on vacation anyway, remember?" Mitch tried again.

Scott slowly nodded. "Okay... maybe you're right," he said and looked at his best friend. "I just want to know why he left."

Mitch sighed. "So do I, Scott," he said. "Did he say anything? I mean you both were so excited to go to Ireland for your vacation next week..."

"I just know that he was struggling again while we were on tour," Scott said and a few tears fell from his eyes. "He was struggling and no matter what I did, I couldn't help him."

This ship has run aground
And I'll be an anchor for you
But you're always cutting me loose

"But what did he say at the moment? I know it's hard, but I just want to understand. To help" Mitch tried again.

"He said that he... he couldn't go on like this and that he would need to leave. I didn't know what he meant and I asked what he meant and then he talked and said a lot of things but I had to ask him what this meant for us before he told me that he was indeed breaking up with me."

"Shit," Mitch said. He had hoped that it would end up being a misunderstanding, but apparently, it wasn't. "How... how are you, Scott?" He knew that this question seemed to be stupid, but he wasn't sure what else he should've asked.

"I don't know, Mitch. I should be sad, and I am, but I'm also confused and..." Scott stopped there for a moment and bit the inside of his cheek until he tasted blood. "Fuck Mitch he left me."