5. Ice Cream / Popsicles

Avi hummed a soft tune when he parked his car in front of Scott's house. He was looking forward to an evening with his boyfriend. Since they had been swamped with work for the past week, they were both eager to spend some time with each other.

Once he had parked, he grabbed the snacks he had prepared for them and went up to his doorbell and ringed. 

"Just a moment." He smiled when he heard the voice of his boyfriend and it got even brighter when he saw him right in front of him. 

"Hello, Love," Avi said softly. "I'm glad to see you." He leaned in and kissed the blonde softly.

"Hey, Avi," Scott said and returned the kiss.

Avi furrowed his brows when he noticed that Scott didn't seem to be as excited to see him. "What's wrong?"

Scott smiled sadly. "It's Mitch. But come in first." 

"Okay..." Avi followed his boyfriend inside and faltered when he saw Mitch sitting at the kitchen table. His shoulders were slumped and he had his head in his hands. Avi noticed immediately that he was crying. 

"It's okay, Mitchy, I'm back," Scott said and sat down next to him. Mitch didn't really acknowledge the presence of his best friend, he was too lost in his heartache.

Avi wanted to ask Scott why he was that distraught but when he saw Mitch's engagement ring lying on the other side of the table, he had a vague idea. He sighed softly, feeling utterly sorry for the smaller man but unsure of his own presence.

"Scott?" he therefore whispered. 

"Hmm?" 

"Shall we reschedule? Mitch needs you more right now. I can leave the snacks..." he said, holding up the bag. 

Scott looked sad for a split second. "I-"

That's when Mitch finally looked up. He wiped his swollen eyes and cleared his throat. "I should leave," he said raspily. "I didn't know you were coming over Avi. Sorry." He got up and wanted to rush out of the room, but Avi was quick to hold him back. 

"Don't leave, Mitch. You need your best friend, hmm?" he said softly and was surprised when Mitch slung his arms around him and sobbed into his flannel shirt. Even though he was overwhelmed he hugged the smaller man and held him tight. 

"Promise, Avi. Promise me that you'll never hurt Scott. I... I don't want him to feel this way" Mitch managed to get out in between sobs.

Avi was taken aback. "I... I would never hurt him, Mitch" he said softly."

"Promise!"

"Mitch-" Scott interrupted, but Avi silenced him with a look.

"I promise, Mitch. I promise that I will never hurt Scott intentionally" Avi said with a firm voice, still holding on to the crying man. "What-" he wanted to ask but bit his tongue. 

"Cheated on me," Mitch said. He wound himself out of Avi's arms and wiped his tears away. "For three months he has had this affair" he continued and then snorted. "And has the audacity to plan our fucking wedding. Today I came home earlier and found them in the hot tub. Which I had installed to celebrate our anniversary and engagement."

"Oh." Avi didn't know what to say. "I didn't expect this..."

"Well, neither did I," Mitch said. "I... just don't understand why he did this."

Avi sighed. "I can say from my own experience that you will never understand him. So don't question it. I asked myself the same question when she cheated on me, but that led me to think I was at fault."