30. vampire's kiss

Start from the beginning

Devora shifted her eyes someplace else, feeling her ears heat up from his actions.

'Quit being so weird Devora... you are such a creep for that.' She profoundly scolded herself for looking at him that way.

Friends shouldn't picture other friends in such ways; is what Devora imposed upon herself, shaking her head mentally.

Instead, she should be working on getting to know him.

Unless, he did it on purpose — knowing she was watching.

But, Devora doubted that it was on purpose. He was just naturally good-looking while drinking alcohol. That's all.

Perhaps it was the Jazz music that was setting him up to be way more attractive than he already was?

She looked back at him to see if her theory was correct.

No. He definitely did not need Jazz music. He was already so beautiful.

Besides, how does one accidentally let a drink slip down their lips?

"Hmm, it's just how I remembered it." Jungkook recollected trying it from the time Jimin ordered it, a grin crawling on his soft lips.

Devora couldn't find her words, already so upset with herself.

Was this a date? Or was this just a simple hang-out?

Why did it feel like something more?

Her rosebud cheeks would heat up from his charming smirk, blushing when he put his lips on the cup.

"Sorry Jungkook, could you excuse me for a minute?" Her hands mingled with one another, suddenly bashful. "I have to use the bathroom."

"I'll be here." He confirmed, drying his fingers with the napkin on the table.

She immediately took that opportunity to speed to the bathroom, wanting to assemble her principles and calm herself down a bit.

Jungkook was left by himself, a somber tone casting upon him with the music the band now switched to.

Was he being too much? Jungkook pondered, watching the dry ice evaporate into thin air. The cube at the bottom of the glass faded away along with the rest of its vapor.

'Shit, did I make her uncomfortable just now?' Jungkook asked himself frantically. 'I knew as soon as I licked my fingers it would come off the wrong way.' He grabbed his cup, drinking the whiskey inside.

The corners of his lips pulled down into a skeptical grimace, putting the cup up to the light to examine it.

He realized that it wasn't the drink he ordered.

The woman must have mixed up his order with another customer because he didn't remember ordering Grey Goose.

He was so tangled up with his perceptions of Devora that he didn't even recognize the liquid wasn't a rusted brown color— the color that whiskey was supposed to look like.

"Excuse me, Mika," He called for the bartender's attention, watching her walk over to his seat.

"I ordered whiskey, but you served me Vodka." His smile was fraudulent, already drained from dealing with his doubts and frustration.

"Oh, gosh." Her face recoiled, forehead scrunched in defeat, "I am so sorry. Here, let me make you another, on the house."

"It's okay, take your time." Jungkook was still polished and good-natured, tying his patience on a tight leash.

The woman was back, a new cup in her hand with the accurate color of whiskey in the glass.

"Here you are, sir." She placed the cup in front of him, an almost devilish grin slackened on her lips.