Episode 39

“Bhai, you never told me that you knew about Tara,” Mishti says while resting her head on her brother’s shoulder, who has come to visit her yet again, taking all the risks and under the disguise. 

“I got to know the same day I started searching for you. You remember we had installed that microphone and camera at the place where you worked?”

Mishti nods.

“Those told me everything I needed to know.” 

Mishti’s mouth open in a ‘o’ at those words, realisation dawning upon her. 

“Did you confront her?” she asks but her brother shakes his head.

“I didn’t. I don’t know why she betrayed us all, Chutki. But absurdly, I’m glad that she did. Since she had come into our lives again, I had been suffering from the guilt about saying those words to her all those years ago, of hurting her. But now everything is even. She hurt you. And nothing is more painful for me than seeing you hurt. So, she has hurt me just the same. We are even; I don’t need to feel any guilt for it.” Her brother says, tilting his head to put a brief kiss on her head under which she smiles, though it dies within a few seconds.

“But, Bhai, I really thought she was our friend. Do you not wonder about the reason why she did all that?”

“I do, Chutki. Her life hasn’t been the easiest. She told us about the debts she must pay.  Maybe it was because of that, because of money. Or it could be entirely something else. I don’t want to make assumptions. I have tried contacting her as well for the same reason, that and because she is the only evidence that we have to take you out from here, get you free from the wrong charges that have been imposed upon you, but I couldn’t reach her. Maybe Raghav would know something about her.” Mihir says, shrugging and Mishti hums.

“Raghav Bhaiya must have been so heartbroken.” Mishti wonder out loud and this time it is Mihir’s turn to hum. 

“You can never know enough about anyone, Chutki. Not even the person you like. You never know how they would react in a particular situation even if you put your whole heart in loving them.” Her brother says and those words strike a nerve, making her remember things that she doesn’t want to. “Raghav too must have had some expectations from her, expectations that she couldn’t stand upon. But I’ll try to get in touch with her again. If she’ll feel even an ounce of guilt for doing what she did, she will come back.”

“Yeah...” Mishti agrees, and just as she does, she hears footsteps from behind, both her and her brother stiffening in their places.

They had selected the spot after a long research and deliberation, at least Mihir had. There is no way an official would know about the attic in the farthest most of the prison. 

“Just say that you got hurt and I was bringing you to your cell, alright?” Mihir whispers in Mishti’s ear to which she nods. 

The footsteps keep getting closer until they are just behind them.

Mishti gulps, as she waits for the officer to confront them.

“Mishti!” the chirpy voice comes instead, making her turn around immediately and release the hitched breath.

“Raima! What are you doing here?” she asks, most part shock and a hint of confusion in her voice as she sees her cellmate standing there with a grin on her face.  

Mihir looks less shocked and more suspicious.

“I followed you guys. I told you I wanted to meet your brother!” she says, quickly coming around to face them.