Episode 16

Three crores. Mishti is short of three crores, and she doesn’t know where to arrange them from. 

Earlier today she had formed a plan, a plan that would bring change for good in Samrat’s life as well as hers because she is unable to take it anymore.

The first that Samrat had discovered what had happened, he had taken it well than anyone ever could. Apart from that look of sorrowful disbelief, there had been nothing more to his reaction.

But it had affected what he demanded of Mishti in his meals, or what he didn’t demand at all – no fancy Italian or French delicacies that Mishti had a hard time even reading the name of, neither had he commented on the food, neither bad nor good. 

She couldn’t take his silent moping anymore, couldn’t bear his sullen face, not when the said man hadn’t once looked at her with doubt in his eyes even though his valet had, very rightfully insisted that the culprit behind this fiasco must be her.

“No, Vivek, you can’t just say that. She has been nothing but of help to me, just because she is new doesn’t mean that we can put all the blame on her. She probably isn’t even aware of what is happening in the house. Also, I’ve already once doubted her regarding the watch incident, I can’t even think of suspecting her or humiliating her like that again.”

It had hurt Mishti, realizing that the man, somewhere, somehow trusted her lying and distrustful self, it had hurt a lot, enough to speed up with the plan to somehow fix everything without putting her or her brother’s and friends’ lives in jeopardy.

She had thought of one.

The loss was of four crores. She had a fixed deposit of one crore in her name that her brother had invested in. Mishti could use that, and even though she’ll probably not have the regular interest coming her way, it’ll help Samrat and currently, she wants only that.

Though she still had no idea where to arrange the rest of the three crores from.

Prior to this, the agency hadn’t ever given them a task this huge. Yes, they had conned people, had robbed houses but the amount had been small; the agency always wanted to keep itself lowkey to avoid the attention from the authorities. The maximum that they had gone for was 50 lakhs then why now? Didn’t the agency think before formulating this task? Didn’t it think of the repercussions of robbing a man with a net worth more than seven hundred crores? Not to mention, it was the first time the agency had formed a plan without telling her brother or consulting their team.

And even though Mishti has a hunch that something isn’t very right, she has no time to ponder upon it. Currently, she wanted those three crores of rupees, and so she calls the only person that can help her.

“Hello, Aisha?”

*

“Aisha, wait!”

“No, Mishti. I am not going to wait!”

“But you said we’ll share it.”

“I did but I will not because you also didn’t share your chocolates with me. It was your birthday. Hmph!”

“Sorry, Aisha. Sanjay sir took them away from me. And then I only had one left. I gave it to my bhai.”

Mishti confesses with a pout, her voice coming out breathless from running behind her friend. Thankfully though, the girl stops, turning around to face her.

There is a confused frown on her face.

“Oh,” Aisha exclaims, her gaze softening. “Does that mean you tried to save some for me?”