24. The Beginnings of Her Destiny (Water Beats Rock: Erosion, Gods and Dai Li)

The Princess of the Fire Nation stood in front of the Dai Li. They all waited on what she was about to say with bated breath. She'd heard mutterings from them that they knew, mostly, what Long Feng had asked her to do. But Azula knew this speech was essential to her plot. She began with the utmost of confidence, whilst pacing back and forth, checking their reactions out of the corner of her eyes.

"The Earth King and the Council of the Five do not trust the Dai Li. They imprisoned your leader, Long Feng." Good, make them question both their leadership and the Earth King. She mentally praised herself. "Soon they will turn on all of you and eliminate you. Seizing power today is a matter of life and death."

As she was pacing, she saw one agent, Azula identified him by his moustache, shuffling nervously. He's the one that misstepped while taking me to Long Feng. Interesting. Let's see if I can break him. She continued.

"This coup must be swift and decisive. The Earth King and each of the five generals must be taken out simultaneously. Long Feng has placed you in my command while we overthrow the government."

Azula saw another agent, one with a small vertical scar on his cheek. She slowed her pacing once she was nearly in line with the man, only to give him a side-eyed glare. She kept on addressing everyone.

"If I sense any disloyalty, any hesitation, any weakness at all." She halted right in front of him. "I will snuff it out."

She walked away from the now slightly shaken agent.

"That is all."

Azula dismissed the Dai Li. She then turned and walked over to her two friends. Ty Lee gave her a cup of tea. In front of everyone, she had to remain strong and impervious. But with her friends, her fatigue was really starting to show.

"Nice speech, Azula. It was pretty and poetic, but also scary in a good way. I bet you could do a lot of good like that." The last part struck Azula as slightly odd from Ty Lee. The emphasis on good wasn't something she'd heard much of from her friends.

Mai seemed amused, which, for Mai, was a big deal. "Yeah. I thought you were going to make that one guy pee his pants."

Azula shook off her reaction to that, proud and amused herself. She had a job to do. Can't get tired when I have a job to do, a destiny of ruling to accomplish. No matter how little sleep I'm getting. And no matter how funny that may have been.

"There are still a few loose ends. The Avatar, and my brother and uncle." Azula turned away from them, though she was sure they could still hear her. "And Long Feng wants Percy."

"It seems we're not the only ones who want Percy then." Mai mumbled.

"Not as much as Azula though." Ty Lee mumbled back, quietly enough that is definitely wasn't meant for her ears, but just loud enough for Azula to hear it.

She wanted to bite back at them, but she just couldn't. The firebender was beginning to like their company a lot, and that was helping her sleeplessness marginally. But the bigger reason she couldn't snap at them? Her face was a bit too red for her to turn around.

~~~~~

Zuko was walking to the palace with his uncle. He was just beginning to not mind his life in Ba Sing Se. They had a nice tea shop, he'd gone through his metamorphosis, or whatever his uncle had called it. The job he had was pleasant, fulfilling and not too overworking. Their house was nice, and they'd just receiving a Royal summons to serve the Earth King tea.

It definitely wasn't what Zuko had thought his life would be, but it was nice.

"Many times, I imagined myself here, at the threshold of the palace." Iroh spoke from next to him. "But I always thought I would be here as a conqueror." Zuko looked up at the large palace doors and emblem above them, symbolising the Earth Kingdom. It didn't look too dissimilar to the Fire Nation palaces back home. "Instead, we are the Earth King's personal guests, here to serve him tea. Destiny is a funny thing."