21. A Bison and the Warriors (Wow, That Could Be a Name for a Band)

It didn't really matter to him if they found him, but the demigod preferred privacy for that particular conversation about exactly who the Fire Nation fugitives were.

His first impression of the old general of that nation was surprisingly humble and well intentioned. That certainly wasn't something he was expecting from the older brother of Ozai. Percy was sure there was a lot more under the surface when it came to Iroh, but the wise firebender seemed like very good company, and most definitely very good for a particular fiery prince.

Percy was relatively certain he knew where Zuko and Jin would've gone for their date. He was slightly annoyed with the firebender for leaving her out on her own in the middle of the Lower Ring. Not that he didn't think she could handle herself, but mainly because there was only so much one person, alone, at night, could handle.

So, he walked directly to the path that he thought she would have to walk home from, then began walking towards her.

About halfway through his walk, he felt his nerves heighten and the hair on the back of his neck stand up. Well, I guess they've found me again. He didn't react, just continuing on his way. They clearly didn't have aggressive intentions yet, and Percy wouldn't give them the advantage of knowing he knew.

Percy nearly turned back around to run to the house, thinking she'd already gone past him, when he saw the firelight of one of her favourite places. She'd been gushing about it to him before she took him. He had to admit, it was a beautiful sight. Much better for a date though. He looked around and the demigod saw the dejected form of Jin, slowly making her way up the street.

Sensing the need for a cheer up, he made a clear and obvious sound, causing her to look up at him. Once he saw that she'd very clearly seen him, he made a half-hearted dash into a side street to 'scare' her. Jin seemed to be playing along.

Waiting until she was alongside, he jumped out.

"Hey!" He exclaimed. She still jumped, although he could tell it was slightly acted. Jin snivelled though.

"Hey Percy." Wow, what did Zuko do to her.

"Hey," he said in a much more soft and delicate tone. "what happened?" He opened his arms for a hug. She seemed glad to take up his offer.

"Well," Jin snivelled again, rubbing a small tear onto Percy's robes. "it started off nice." She said, clearly trying to remain optimistic. Percy sighed, stupid prince.

"Tell me everything that happened." Percy disregarded the eyes on him once more, prioritising leading the young girl through the dark streets towards their home. With his arm around her shoulder, she began the tale.

"... then he told me to close my eyes. Next thing I know, the whole place is lit." Well, that is kinda sweet and romantic. He had to give it to Zuko. Using his firebender for something so kind and thoughtful was wholesome. "I don't know how he did it, but wasn't that guy saying something about them being firebenders, the one who destroyed the tea shop?"

Percy forced himself not to tense. Thankfully, just thinking about Zuko juggling on a date was all he needed to chuckle. That seemed to alleviate her suspicions, although he knew she was closer than Zuko would've liked.

He was glad she continued with her story, as he really didn't want to outright lie to her. Percy got another good chuckle about the 'most valuable customer'. Iroh really did seem like an awesome uncle and person.

"But then I said 'Now it's your turn to close your eyes'." Smooth, he thought appraisingly. "But when we kissed, it was good, for a second. Then he just stopped." Percy had a pretty decent idea as to why he did that.