22. Getting Into the City of Walls (The Princess is Coming)

Percy had been in Ba Sing Se for a few weeks, and he was enjoying it, mostly. The family had been wonderful. His shirt, whilst not perfect, was returned to a wearable condition. There were green-grey patches, and obvious stitch marks along his jeans, but he absolutely couldn't thank them enough.

Over the few weeks he'd been in the city, he'd seen the fliers for Appa, or if it wasn't Appa then it was a massive coincidence. It was unfortunate that the Avatar group didn't find him quickly when they arrived, but with what Percy had seen of the Dai Li, maybe that wasn't a big surprise.

Granted he couldn't actually read the fliers. Not that his dyslexia was the problem this time. No, it was a completely different language. That was his first indication that he was done with his life in the city. Percy found it rather odd that he could understand everyone with how they spoke, but couldn't understand their written language. He powered through but it was starting to become a hassle.

In his time away from Jin and the rest of her family, Percy spent his time wandering the streets of Ba Sing Se. Exploring and just generally disobeying all the rules that Joo De had told him when he'd first come into the city.

After finding out that Iroh was given a new tea shop in the Upper Ring, Percy had told the old man that he'd visit as much as he could. The young prince didn't seem to pleased to see him when Percy first came up into the upper ring, and so he didn't join in on their conversations. It was mainly pleasant ramblings on life, and tea. Mainly tea. Unfortunately, there were no more Jin and Zuko dates that meant Percy could talk in earnest with the old firebender. Which was a shame really, he was hoping for more of Iroh's wisdom.

The demigod could feel the eyes of the Dai Li on him the whole way up to the shop and most often while he was in the shop, but they didn't stop him. But quite soon after though, he felt something that puzzled him. Percy felt safe. There were no eyes on him. His Dai Li escort had disappeared that day, without a trace.

The demigod still kept a lookout, but something obviously happened. Either the Dai Li prioritised themselves elsewhere, like the Avatar group, or some change in policy meant they didn't follow him around. He was very pleased with the new development though, and enjoyed the day out with Jin, exploring.

Then he'd seen Appa flying over the city, rather low in fact. That put a smile on Percy's face, especially the orangey robes that could be seen on top.

Not too long after that, he'd been told that the Earth King had been spotted on the train. It was all the buzz in the Lower Ring for weeks. Apparently, he hadn't come out of his palace for his whole life. Not much of a king, is he?

He'd been seen with a group of kids, who sounded oddly like his fellow drill-destroyers. Hopefully they're getting to the king and telling him of the Fire Nation threat.

Later in the day, he'd heard some random gossip about the ground shaking by the palace much earlier in the morning. That could've been for any number of reasons, though Percy had a sneaking suspicion that the group had made a move for the Earth King to force him to listen. Good on them.

Percy was starting to miss his home, or at least, the peace and quiet of the home he'd created by the lake. And he was best he left the city. Everything about it made him homesick in the bad way, and it was a feeling that built in the pit of his stomach. Too many parts of city life reminded him of Manhattan enough to make him think of his mother and his previous life, that it just hurt. It began as a dull throb, but soon became, what felt like, shooting pains through his chest and down his arms.

Getting ready for that conversation, he packed all his stuff in a satchel Jin's family had provided for him.

A couple days later, and he was about to leave, when the hairs on the back of his neck stood up once more.