7. A Fun Ride to a Big Snake (I Get Some Friends)

Percy woke to the rumble of engines, the shaking of the cell getting him awake pretty quickly. Surprisingly for him, he'd awoken while the sun was very much in the sky. He must've been quite tired considering that.

He sat up to find a curious-looking Mai sitting across from him in a seat of her own. A perplexed Percy looked back, equally curious but obviously for a different reason.

"What made you come and sit in here?" Percy started, after a few minutes of curious but somehow indifferent staring.

"How did you know?" I mean, I guess that answers my question, in a very roundabout way.

"How'd I know what?"

"About," cue a very deep sigh, "my parents." Finally, a glimmer of emotion shone through her voice.

"Oh, OH. That. Right, yeah, I know a lot of kids with parents like that. I've helped kids with a whole lot of things." At her inquisitive gaze, he continued. "On the island I'm from, I worked with a lot of children. I'd help them get through things, and we had kids from nearly every walk of life. You get to pick up on a few things."

She nodded her head in recognition, although he didn't know if she really understood the working with kids thing. Maybe they had stuff like camps in the fire nation. He didn't really know, Percy doubted it. Camps came well after schools and this place seemed very traditional. Or not traditional, just actually in the past.

"I've helped my fair share of kids who had parents who controlled every part of their life. The way you cope and react is um, something I've seen before." Percy winced as he may not have handled that in the most eloquent of ways. Wow, eloquent, I'm using some great words.

Mai seemed to not mind too much at his bluntness. He guessed she wasn't like Ty Lee, who's main problem was feeling as though she was a copy of everyone else. Lacking the uniqueness and separation from the rest of her sisters. At least in her eyes. He had to get better at that if Ty Lee ever wanted to talk again. If she was alright after the heat stroke from their walk yesterday... She had still seemed red faced when she'd brought him his food last night. He shrugged.

"...thanks. For, well, listening. I guess." She said, rather awkwardly. Well at least there was a little bit of emotion there. He was getting somewhere with Mai.

She sat back in her chair and they just enjoyed the silence of their company. It wasn't like she was different. She was definitely still Mai, but he hoped she'd maybe let some people in, or just Zuko. He internally smirked, remembering the teasing from oh so long ago.

He was starting to figure out just how different these people without the influence of the Fire Lord or, more directly, Azula. Azula was just kind of stunting these people's opinions and childhoods just for her own cause. It was definitely her strategy, he'd seen it before a lot.

Kronos' manipulation was quite similar to that of the Royal family in the Fire Nation. He just was rather...experienced in getting past it. He'd learnt from endless failures at doing so sure, but he did get better.

Although Percy was beginning to feel more and more like a therapist. A terrible, unqualified therapist, but he seemed to be helping somewhat.

~~~~~

Azula couldn't believe it. She'd fallen asleep with Percy again. By the river, Oh no, not like that. Damn her heating up face. That was not what she intended. Not that she...nope. Quiet brain.

She knew, both instinctively and logically that he'd seen her asleep. He had woken up and walked away, he must've seen her. And she'd woken up with a smile on her face because, oh that dream. Again, not going there, trying to rid herself of a blush. She was a princess, so she'd been trained to be able to not show weakness. Percy had seen her, twice, in such a weakened state. And now so had Mai and Ty Lee. Oh how everything was going against her now.