23. Baiting the Dai Li (The Princess is... Concerning)

Azula couldn't believe her luck. Granted, she'd hoped for just such a situation, but for it to just fall into her lap like that. Well... she truly was born to rule. It did seem royalty and leading came easily to her as her family claimed.

The small voice, perpetually growing the longer she'd known Percy, spoke up. But Percy seemed born to lead. And yet he's not royalty.

Azula shook her head. That part of her was becoming harder to argue with, and the part that denied him, the part that still called him a waterbending savage, was becoming much easier to refute.

Focus on Ba Sing Se. Victory for the Fire Lord, subjugation and death for all those who do not cooperate.

She hadn't slept since the drill again. The voices, multiplying as they were, were pounding in her head. It was surprising to herself that she'd kept up the Kyoshi Warrior act in front of the king. He'd given her all the information she could have ever wanted and she'd almost blown it by acting worried. Azula really was getting fatigued.

Focus!

She turned to see Ty Lee and Mai taking off their makeup in their respective mirrors.

"We've been presented with an extraordinary opportunity, girls."

"Mai finally gets to wear make-up that's not totally depressing?" Azula did her best to hide the smile at the tease from Ty Lee. She walked to the window to gaze out, contemplatively.

She saw in the slight reflection of the window that Mai turned to the bouncy chi-blocker.

"Ha, ha." These interactions were, quite honestly, keeping Azula awake at this point. She appreciated it, although she'd never let them know that. They're below you, you shouldn't have to.

Focus!

"I'm talking about conquering the whole Earth Kingdom." The two girls turned to look at Azula, shocked. She remained at the window. "For one hundred years, the Fire Nation has hammered away at Ba Sing Se from the outside." She finally arrived at the window, her slow pace letting her thoughts run wild. Smirking, she continued, "But now we're on the inside, and we can take it by ourselves."

"Gosh, you're so confident." Ty Lee said, looking at her admiringly. "I really admire that about you."

Azula raised an eyebrow at that. It wasn't completely out of the ordinary for Ty Lee, but ever since saying that it was unfortunate that the Earth King couldn't trust those closest to him, the girl had been quite a bit more complimentary. Brushing it aside, she continued.

"From the inside, we're in perfect position to organise a coup and overthrow the Earth King. And recapture Percy." She said. Azula pretended to disregard how the two girls looked more invested as soon as she mentioned the boy, but the ugly feeling in the pit of her stomach returned with full force.

"The key is the Dai Li. Whoever controls the Dai Li," she turned to the two for dramatic effect, "controls Ba Sing Se."

"What should we do Azula?" Ty Lee said.

She was still the regular, bubbly girl the princess had known practically her whole life. Maybe she was just imagining it. No! She needs to fear you again. Azula disregarded that thought. They were her friends. She could trust them. They'll put me first, they always have.

"Well, let's see if we can get the once leader of the Dai Li in on it, but on our terms."

"How so?" droned Mai.

"Let's tell the Dai Li who we really are."

~~~

Azula stood, perfectly still, behind a pillar. She'd watched the Dai Li come in to investigate from a shadow and everything was going to plan. There were two of them, but that was plenty. Now let's see how good the girls' acting is.