Chapter 6. The Hero's leave their Mark

Chapter 6

 BADOOOM!, BADOOOM! FWUMPF!,FWUMPF!!!!

 The gigantic doors of the city were slammed closed and security bars dropped in place behind Hedera and Salix. Up on the ramparts half the population had accumulated to see the duo depart on their epic Quest. There was obviously mixed emotions within the various clans some cheered, some jeered, some just leered, others found the whole situation quite amusing, outwardly laughing, throwing odd bits of debris at the pair.

 " Stand proud and don't look back " said Hedera with his jaw thrust forward.

 Salix wasn't enjoying their send off one iota,

 "Thought you said we'd slip away quietly " he moaned

 " Head up and a good brisk pace , look as if we mean business, water off a ducks back eh! " Hedera declared stoically

He strutted off at quite a pace, Salix was taken by surprise having to break in to a sort of hop skip and jump motion to keep up, the over-riding effect  made him look slightly effeminate attracting a few wolf whistles with accompanying derisory comments .

" Go save our City sweetie "

 " We've got two hopes, Bob Hope and No hope with that pair"

 In the middle of the crowd stood a silent hooded figure watching with hope, whispering words of support

 " Good luck,our destiny is in your hands, may the Gods be with you"   she was not heard.

The two defiantly strode on at an unrelenting pace until the cacophony was no longer audible and were out of sight.

 " Jeeez, I'm cream crackered already " panted Salix

 "O.K. " said Hedera "we'll stop and do one final check before we have gone too far to realise we've forgotten something "

Slung over their backs they each had a crudely made sack containing all they needed for the journey. Salix threw his to the floor and opened the knot, there before him lay the whole of his worldly possessions, a few clothes, a comb with several teeth missing, a couple of spare arrow tips, a small dagger,sword, wooden plate and spoon and a roll of spiders thread to floss his teeth plus the little bag of fire stones Gloxinia had presented him with, Hedera noticed he only had one under garment.

 " How come you only packed one pair of gruds " he quizzically asked

 " Oh I can make them last six days " Salix replied smugly

 "That's gross" wretched Hedera " they must be stinkin', I bet you could stand them up in the corner by the time you take them off"

 " No actually they're not too bad, it's easy first you wear them the right way round, then back to front, then you tuck your shirt into them the right way, then reverse, after that you do the same again inside out, but you can't use your shirt because it's already dirty......there... see, six days"

 By this time Hedera was doubled up holding his stomach trying desperately not to be sick.

" I wish I hadn't asked" he wretched " and I have to spend the whole of this Quest with you, Monsieur  Smelly Gruds "

 "Well you asked and friends have to be honest wiv each other, ESPECIALLY if we're going to spend the whole of this Quest together"

 With that Salix quickly scooped up his bundle replacing it upon it's stick

 "Well you gonna check yours, Mister Silky Drawers "

 Hedera opened his bundle and started methodically working his way through the contents.