CHAPTER FOURTEEN - THEY'RE JUST BULLIES

Chris’s POV

We get to school on Monday and I unashamedly grab Lei’s hand and he moves closer to me as we walk through the corridor. Occasionally we get a sneer and snide remark but at we get even more wolf whistles particularly from the girls. The rude shouts don’t bug me but I can feel Lei stiffen next to me. I stop us abruptly.

“Lei stop it.”

“Stop what?”

“I’m here okay? I won’t let them hurt you,” I nuzzle my face into the side of his neck.

“I just…” He takes a deep breath, “I’m just not used to being so… Open.”

“I swear I’ll protect you Lei.”

“I know it’s just… Who will protect you?”

Before I can respond the bell rings and he rushes off to class, pale form disappearing in the crowd. Damn.

I get out of English a little late and enter an almost empty hall, everyone has left for lunch. There’s on guys standing outside though and he looks peeved. He walks towards me and I smile sweetly.

“Can I help you with something?”

“No fag but I can help you,” he snatches my camera from me and punches me on my jaw. I touch my hand to my face as I turn back but he shoves me to the floor, “I’m just going to beat you straight.”

I’m lying on the cold tiles when someone finds me, I can tell that my lip is busted and my jaw is swelling up pretty quickly. My side is also in a lot of pain.

“Oh lordy are you okay?”

“Mmm…”

“Here let me help you,” she puts her arm around my waist and helps me sit up against the wall.

“Thanks…” She appears in front of me, gently touching my jaw.

“Here,” she lifts me up and hobbles me to the nurses office, sitting with me whilst he puts some ice on my cheek and checks my ribcage.

“CHRIS!?” Lei bursts through the doors in a teary rage, I’ve never seen him cry before and it’s scaring the hell out of me.

“What’s wrong Lei?”

“Oh thank the heavens you’re okay,” he squeezes me tightly and I flinch.

“Oh… Sorry… Who’s this?”

“Oh I’m Ginger,” the girl gets up and shakes his hand lightly, her long brown curls bouncing.

“Lei and this is Chris,” he points to me already guessing correctly that we hadn’t been introduced yet.

“Oh… What happened to your face?” Lei turns and I make out a steadily swelling black eye, “bad day,” he looks at me grimly and hugs me again.

It seems we’ve both had a bad day.