~29~ Water, Birds, Smoke, and Memories

Start from the beginning

"Are we too loud downstairs?"

"No. I just..." Sofia averted her eyes, wringing out her hands. Ruy leaned down to her level, tucking his wings behind him and giving her a gentle smile. When he and Alvar took care of Lilac in the Neverseen base, getting down to her level seemed to help talk to her.

"Is everything okay? Do you want me to get your mommy and daddy?" Ruy asked.

Sofia shrugged, sticking her thumb back in her mouth.

"Sofia? Did you tell him?" A meek voice asked. Bex leaned from the corner, squeaking when she saw Ruy.

Ruy quirked an eyebrow, "Tell me what?"

Sofia took a deep breath, "Blur gave Fitz a red cloth, and Fitz gave it to me. I didn't really know what to do with it, since you and Amalia told me to be quiet about the Assassins. But Bex saw it in my backpack and said I should come tell you." The sound of Bex still hiding behind the corner was then accompanied by the sound of two other Dizznees, "She says it is important."

Sofia held on to a scrap of fabric, and Ruy carefully took it from her small fingers.

The Cyevan guild mark stitched in dull thread was between his fingers. The thread isn't what they use nowadays, and the red fabric was dated and worn.

"Blur was a Cyevan Assassin." Ruy breathed, his head spinning. He wasn't one that the current Assassins initiated if this old scrap was his.

Sofia kicked some dust on the floor, "Bex didn't want to tell you because she thinks you are pretty and is scared to talk to you-"

"Sofia!" Bex hissed from around the corner, the snickering of her brothers drowning her out.

Ruy struggled to stay calm. Blur was a Cyevan Assassin- The Black Swan didn't even know about the Assassins! Not until before this. They didn't know Leto was an Assassin or that they were a Cyevan branch. Did Leto even know?

Ruy placed a hand on her shoulder, "Thank you for telling me this Sofia. You did the right thing."

"Blur won't get in trouble for being revealed, will he? I know the Assassins are secretive." She didn't fully connect the dots about Blur's death.

Ruy shook his head, "I promise Blur won't get..."Ruy's eyes caught on a floor-to-ceiling window at the end of the hall, where a shadow flew past, "in..." More shadows walked toward the house, toward the group of Black Swan members.

Ruy sprung to his feet, his fists clenched, "Trouble."

"Easy-EASY!" Keefe barked at the Neverseen that roughed him up a bit put his hand on his hair

"Easy-EASY!" Keefe barked at the Neverseen that roughed him up a bit put his hand on his hair. Grizel and Sandor fought in the grips of four Neverseen members, Sandor more so when they threatened Grizel.

"What do you want?" Grady growled through seething teeth. One of the cloaked members scoffed, getting closer to his face, "Where is he?

Grady fought in their grip, "Who?"