Chapter 2

*Ring Ring* *Ring Ring*

*Ring RIng*

I stop running and answer the phone without looking at the caller id.

"Hello?"

"Babe where are you? I woke up and you were gone".

"I'm sorry baby, I just needed to go for a run".

"Are you okay"?

"I don't know. I guess last night brought everything back to me so I had trouble sleeping. I then decided on going for a run at about five this morning".

"FIVE! Babe it's eight o'clock now".

"Oops, sorry I guess I lost track of the time. I'll head back now okay"?

"Okay and when you get back can we talk about it".

I sigh. "Babe there's noth-"

"Don't give me that excuse babe, you know it doesn't work on me. We are going to talk about it". Jessie says interrupting me.

I chuckle. "Yeah okay. I'll be home soon".

"Good".

"Yeah, I love you".

"Mhm". I sigh. "Babe please say it back".

She sighs. "Yeah, I love you too".

"Thank you baby I'll see you when I get home and then we can talk".

"Okay".

I hang up the phone and run back home to the apartment. This morning I had just run my normal route and I ran around it a few times. So it only ended up taking me about ten minutes to get back to the apartment.

As soon as I walked back into the apartment I was met with the sight of Jessie sat on the kitchen stools just staring at the kitchen countertop.

I sigh and walk and sit on the stool next to her.

"I'm sorry". I whisper and look forward not making any eye contact.

"I know you are". She whispers back. I look at Jessie and she looks at me.

"Can we sit and talk"? I nod.

"I fell asleep last night but everything just came back to me in my sleep and I woke up panicking. I didn't want to wake you up so I went on a run instead".

Jessie nods. "Okay. Do you feel like you need to talk about everything"?

"Maybe, but you already know everything. There isn't anything more to tell you".

"Don't tell me to tell me, babe, tell me to get it off your chest and to help you. Maybe talking about it again will help you". I nod. "Yeah, maybe it will".

We then move onto the sofa as it's comfier.

"What do I talk about"?

"Whatever you were thinking about yesterday and last night". I nod.

"It was everything to do with the car accident". Jessie nods listening. "I relived it all again. How stupid I was. How stupid we both were. We know neither of us should have driven but we did anyway".

Five years ago:

The music and all the people shouting and laughing could be heard down the street as the both of us stumbled down it laughing our heads off at each other.

We got to her car. "Evie I have a bad feeling about this. We shouldn't drive we've drunk too much".

"Hayden we're fine.  I  don't wanna taxi and I don't wanna leave car here someone will rob it". Evie managed to slur out.