Epilogue: Twenty Years Later

Start from the beginning

I smiled and waited for his answer.

"I don't regret anything with your grandma. We made our fair share of mistakes with each other, but it made us stronger and more understanding of each other. You can't force a girl to like you, but don't assume that she doesn't. Women have a way of hiding those things to avoid getting hurt."

I sighed. "Dad thinks maybe you blame him for what happened with Grandma. Like if he hadn't dragged you out of town, she might still be alive. Do you feel that way?"

"Your dad didn't drag me anywhere. I don't do things I don't want to do. I'm stubborn like that. I think knowing she died while I was away made it easier. I think if I had been the one who found her. . .it would have been harder," he said. "I carry her in my heart every second of every day, and when it's my time, I hope to be with her again. It's hard going home and her not being there, but it's part of life. We live, and we die. Grandma and I lived a long, fulfilling, happy life together, and that's all a person can really ask for." Grandpa smiled and seemed genuinely pleased.

"You definitely created a long bloodline," I teased.

Grandpa smirked.

I pursed my lip as I debated something. "There will never be anyone like you and Grandma. You know that, right? You two are legends to the Kings. I mean, you two pretty much rewrote the book and made it your own."

Grandpa winked and smiled. "But that's all it takes to be a true legend, boy. You got to be willing to fight for what you want and what you believe, even if that means breaking the rules and rewriting them."

"So, if I pushed the Kings in a different direction, do you think people would be angry?"

"Without a doubt, but don't let that stop you because if something as petty as other people's anger can stop you, you're going to spend your life getting beat down in the dirt. You do what you have to do. We all have to face repercussions. It's not about that. It's how we deal with it," Grandpa said. "You'll find your way, and if you're fortunate, some girl is going to come along and push you in the right direction."

I took in the words he spoke and clung to his advice in a way I never had before. Everything he said rang with such fierceness and certainty that it couldn't be doubted or questioned.

Grandpa stood up as Dad walked into the study.

Dad tilted his head at Grandpa. "Are you leaving, Dad? We thought you might stay for the party."

"I have to run home and get ready." Grandpa hugged Dad before he walked out of the study.

Dad turned to me and sighed. "Have fun last night?"

"I don't remember last night," I said truthfully.

Dad shook his head. "You need to get your head on straight if you're going to take the chair, Ace."

"My head is on straight, okay? I fucking slipped one night. I went out and got drunk with my friends because I was upset over this—" I stopped and grimaced.

"Girl," Dad finished.

My eyes flickered to Dad. "How did you know that?"

Dad shrugged. "I know girl problems when I see them," he said and chuckled. "Go get ready. The party will start soon, and you need that speech ready, or you'll have to wing it."

Stormy walked into the study. "Hey, Dad." Stormy hugged Dad and turned to me. "Ready for that speech?"

"Ready as I'll ever be," I said and rolled my eyes.