Chapter 6: Talk

Soon, after they dropped Mr. Dera off at the police station, they arrived atthe Deras' and Mrs. Dera was getting worried about Amber and how well shewould take the news about her parents.

"Lets go inside and talk," Mrs. Derainsisted.

"Ok." Amber said.

They went inside and sat on the couch whileMadison and Emily sat in the floor and watched TV.

"So you, Madison andEmily will have to come live with me and Mr. Dera for a little while."

"Why? Is mommy and daddy going to jail?" Amber was worried andconfused.

"Sweetheart, your mommy and daddy love you so much," shesaid, trying to calm Amber's nerves, "it's just that, well, they drink andsmoke to much."

"So just make them stop."

"I'm afraid its not that easy,baby."

"But why not? Mommy and daddy promised nothing bad was goingto happen."

"I know, but Amber, sometimes people make promises they can'tkeep. It's sad, I know, and people may cry, but can you promise me you'll bea big and strong girl for your sisters? And for me and Mr. Dera?"

"I guessso. How long are mommy and daddy going to be away for?"

"I wish I knew,baby girl. Mr. Dera will be back in a little while. Oh, here he comes now."When Amber saw Mr. Dera, she ran for the front screen door of the oldhouse.

"Mr. Dera! Mr. Dera! What did mommy and daddy say? Did they saywhen they were coming back? Did they say they loved me please tell-"

"Ok," Mr. Dera laughed, interrupting Amber, "your mommy and daddy saidthey love you and they are very sorry for what happened."

"It's ok," Ambersaid, "I'm ok now. And now I have you and Mrs. Dera to take care of mewhile mommy and daddy are away. I'll be ok. How are they?"

"Amberplease. Let him take a breathe." Mrs. Dera said.

"I'm sorry, Mr. Dera."Amber apologized.

"It's ok, baby girl. I know you miss your mommy anddaddy." He said. They heard a knock on the door. It was Officer G with Sheriff Ziree.

"Hello,Mr. and Mrs. Dera. Girls. This is Sheriff Ziree, he's going to give you thenews of whether or not the girls will live here or go to a foster center."

"Yes,officers. Come on in. Please take a seat."

"Thank you." While Mrs. Derawent to make tea, she asked Amber and her sisters to go to their play roomand play.

"Thank you so much for coming, Officers." Mr. Dera said as heshook their hands.

"You're very welcome, sir. Now, lets get down to business.Amber and her sisters have been immune to second hand smoke and havebeen around other drugs for quit some time now, correct?"

"Yes, sir. Theyhave dealt with it pretty much their whole lives. Well, except when they come over here or are outside."

"And nobody bothered to call the police, isthat correct?"

"Well yes. But only because Ashlyn and Joey begged us not to.They said that they had it all under control and that the children weren't inany danger. We have called the police a few times, but somehow theymanaged to get away with it."

"Did you believe they could handle it? Didyou think they could've hurt or injured these girls in any way?"

"Yes. I neverwanted to think anything would ever happen. I have seen Ashlyn come homedrunk some nights, but Joey would usually come home sober. And on thenights any of them were drunk, Amber and her sister come over here tospend the night."

"Ok. Since you two didn't call the cops the minute youfound this out, it's considered illegal-"

"But Sheriff-" Mr. Dera said. SheriffZiree put his hand up.

"-however, since Amber and her sisters are happy hereand healthy, we will drop this charge and we will allow them to stay withyou and your wife. We wouldn't want them to be somewhere where theywould possibly get separated." Sheriff Ziree finished. Mrs. Deracame in with the tea.

"Thank you so much, Sheriff. This means so much tome and my wife." Mr. Dera said with the biggest smile. Mrs. Dera sat downand they all explained to her what had happened while they drank their tea.

"Well, we best be going." Sheriff Ziree said as him and Officer G stood.

"Yes, well thank you so much and God bless you." Mrs. Dera said.

"Thank you for the tea, it was delicious and we will be checking in on the children every couple of days for the next few weeks." The sheriff and officer then shook the Deras' hands' and left.