Chapter 1: The Family

In April, Ashlyn and Joey Corlow got married. Their wedding was the happiest day of their lives. Three months later, they had their first baby girl,Amber Maria Corlow. They were excited, a little piece of both of them, but they still focused more on each other.Three years later, they had twins, Madison Lynn and Emily Claire Corlow. They were thrilled about having twin girls. However, one month after they were born, their parents started coming home drunk. They didn't care much about the girls after that. In their heads, they just made sure the kids didn't die, and they were fine. They didn't cook for the girls, clean up after the twins (change their diapers), or bathe them. Amber had gone from being a three-year-old older sister to being a mom. It was sad, but Amber got used to it.They had very little money because both of her parents started doing drugs and partying. Both their parents worked from 7 a.m- 7 p.m, everyday, what they did,nobody knew. Times were hard for Amber and her younger sisters. They lived in a 2 bedroom apartment. The twins shared a room, while Amber slept in the living room on the coach. When they had people over for a visit, the twins gave up their room and they had to go sleep in the living room with Amber. Amber slept on the coach while the twins slept in their crib. (They only had enough money for one crib).Amber was in charge of everything in her house. The cooking, (most of) the cleaning, and most importantly, watching after her younger sisters; even though she was only 3! When their parents were off work, they would throw an "adult" party and the kids would either have to leave or shut themselves in the room.Their neighbors, the Deras, were like a second family to Amber and her sisters and they would often visit them. Mrs. Dera would baby-sit and cook.And Mr. Dera would often play with them (what little he could do). The kids would often stay the night over there, for they didn't feel welcome at their own home.