Chapter 4: Test Results

Thirty minutes later, Ambers parents got to the hospital. Due to their parentsnegligence, they weren't allowed in with Amber until the doctor ran testsand the results came back. It took four long hours before Amber's tests cameback. Amber was asleep the whole time. When the tests came back, the newswasn't so good.

"Mr. and Mrs. Corlow?" Doctor Justin said.

"Yes?" Mrs.Corlow asked.

"I'm sorry to tell you this, but Amber has been immune tosecond hand smoke."

"Oh. Is that it? I mean, just the smoke?" Mrs. Corlowasked, chuckling a little.

"Yes. But Mrs. Corlow, this is no laughing matter.I'm afraid she has been immune to way to much of it. If your otherdaughters' hadn't been there and acted when they did, Amber could've easilydied."

"It was that serious?" Mrs. Dera butted in.

"Yes. Sad, but true. See, Amber is only 6 and hasn't fully grown and developed yet. So even if it wasjust a little tiny bit, it could have easily killed her."

"Oh my God. Ashlyn,didn't you hear Amber when she hit the floor?" Mrs. Dera asked, facing Mrs.Corlow.

"Well, no. Me and Joey were on the phone and I thought she justdropped her doll."

"That's not what Madison and Emily said."

"Oh really?And what exactly did they tell you?" she asked, staring at Emily andMadison angrily.

"They told me that you didn't believe them."

"Well, no, Ididn't. They're only 3, I thought they were just playing hospital or doctor.Certainly, you didn't think they were telling the truth?" Mrs. Corlowchuckled.

"I hoped not. I just wanted to be sure."

"Excuse me, but I must gocheck on Amber." Dr. Justin said as he headed toward Amber's room.

"Ofcourse, doctor." said Mrs. Dera. When the doctor was out of site, Mr. andMrs. Dera shot daggers at the Corlows for their negligence.