Fights and Favors

"You know, you talk in your sleep," Eddy informs me at breakfast.
My eyes go wide. "Really? What do I say?"
"Eddy is the most amazing, sexiest and funniest person alive..."
I shake my head at him. "You are ridiculous, and annoying. I don't really talk in my sleep, do I?"
He chuckles. "No. If you feel to, I don't mind."
I roll my eyes as Alexander sits beside me. "How's my little ray of sunshine?"
I smile. "Just fine."
"Eddy isn't bothering you, is he?" He asks. I like Alex. He's fun to be around, easy going and a hard worker, but there is just something about Eddy that makes me come alive. Speaking about Eddy, he got really quiet when Alex sat down. He's been doing that for the past couple of days, too. These two are best friends. What's going on?
"Eddy is being the perfect gentleman, as always."
There's an awkward silence that settles over the table, and I suddenly feel very, very uncomfortable.
"Guys. What's going on? You both seem, gee, I don't know, indifferent?" I ask, taking a sip of my juice. Which, thank heavens, is actually juice this time.
"Yeah, Eddy. What's going on? You've been acting weird lately. I'm your best friend, not the enemy." Alex tells Eddy. Eddy turns to me. "Ana, can you give us a couple minutes, please? I'll meet you in five minutes."
True to his word, Eddy finds me sweeping out the classrooms with Diego five minutes later. I saw Alex past by with a black eye, but he seemed to be at ease with Eddy. I don't understand boys. Why violence? That is why God gave us mouths. To talk,not hit.
Diego hands me one of the fallen posters as Eddy walks in. "Hey."
"We need to do something about these posters. All of them are battered and old. Like the paint. The paint on the wall is peeling. And the desks and chairs, I mean, those poor kids, sitting in these death traps all day. And for the younger kids, they barely have any toys. That is ridiculous," I ramble off to him. He stares at me. "We don't have the money to do a make over, Ana."
I sigh at him. "Sadly." Changing the topic, I inquired about the little talk. "So...you and Alex?"
"We're cool."
"You say that as he walks by me with a black eye. What happened?"
He chuckles. "Nothing you have to be worried about."
"Are you sure? It was pretty tense, sitting between you two."
"I'm sorry. Guy stuff, no need to worry about it."
I shrug. "If you say so."
He takes the broom from me. "You sweep slow."
I stick my tounge out at him, and walk off.

* * *

I manage to call Frankie. I know she's excited to hear from me because she makes a big deal out by screaming.
"I miss you so much!"
"Me too."
"I swear, I'll be at work, and I'll see people who look just like you."
"Aw. I can't say that happened to me, but I really do miss you."
"How's it going? Without anything to drink?"
I sigh. The only person who knows the truth is Eddy. "Its good. I promise you, when I come back, you and I are going to have a long talk. Okay?"
"Whatever you say, baby."
I smile. "Hey, remember the credit card I left with you?"
"Yeah. You put it in my purse and said it was when you had an emergency in Nicaragua."
"Yeah, well get that credit card out because you're going shopping."
"Your having an emergency already? Your only a month and two weeks in."
"No," I laugh. "Its not an emergency. Just a favor."