Second to First

It's Saturday. Its Saturday!
I'm jumping up and down like a little kid.
Eddy groans and throws the covers back over his head. "Its not even 5:00 yet. Please. Shut. Up."
I laugh and go and get ready, throwing on a sundress Eddy bought for me on my birthday. Finally, the girls are going to dance today!
I help Mama cook breakfast, and then help the girls get dressed and apply make-up. I am so impressed.
"EDDY!" Mama yells. She's shaking her head. "If he went to bed early like I told him to..."
I blush and put Scarlett's bangles on. We did go to bed early, but due to some feverish emotions, we fell asleep late. Scarlett see's my blush and shakes her head at me. "Shame on you," she says low enough that Mama doesn't hear.
Eddy comes downstairs, sighing. He looks at his mom. "Sí?"
"Ah, you lazy bum. Come and help us!" Mama starts to lecture.
By seven, every girl is groomed to perfection. Hair? Check. Make-up? Check. Outfit? Check. Jewelry? Check.
"Are we ready?" I ask, excited. They nod, and climb in the bus that's waiting for us. Frankie decides to stay behind and I laugh. "Oh. I see you've cast you're eye on someone?"
She bites her lips and nods. "I'm lucky he decided to cast his eyes on me, too!"
Eddy hugs me. "Good luck."
"Thanks."
As I'm about to climb aboard, I notice he's still staring at me. "What? Is there something wrong?"
He leans down and whispers into my ear, "I can't wait to get you out of that dress later."
I playfully smack him and get on the bus. "Later."

Later, the girls stand, waiting for the judges. They danced like little angels, in perfect harmony and grace. I'm so proud of them. They have to win, I know it.
"What if we don't win, not even a runner up place?" Bridget panics.
Fernanda sighs. "All those months of hard work gone to waste."
"That's not true," I start, but Scarlett cuts me off.
"So what of you don't win? We still had fun, right? And Ms. O'Neil and Mama are proud of us. Isn't that what matters?" She exclaims, hands on her hips.
"Exactly," Elena joins in, crossing her arms. "We always have next year."
The girls gradually smile and nod at each other, and I stay silent, watching them. Even if they don't win, they've won the best gift... Friendship.
The announcer starts talking, drawing our attention to her. "Thank-you, ladies and gentleman for your patience. May God bless all the sponsors and contestants. Let's start, shall we? In third place, winning $10 000, is Stronger!" We clap for the group, and wait for the announcer to continue. "In second place, winning $20 000, is...Hope Springs!" My eyes go wide, and we start screaming. That's us! OMG, that's us! We run up to the stage and claim the trophy and the check. I've never been more happier in my entire life.

* * *

"So, my baby doll was victorious," Eddy whispers as he twirls me around in his room.

"Maybe next year, the boys could get in on the action, too."
His hands slides around my waist. "I know that I'm definitely reaping the benefits."
I giggle, and his tongue intertwines with mine. He hoists me up by my waist, and I wrap my arms around him. Breathing hard, he bites my lip and I groan. Then there's a scream, and immediately, Eddy places me down and we run towards the scream. Scarlett is in the kitchen, locking the doors and closing the blinds.
"Scarlett?" I whisper, trying to approach her. Her face is stained with tears.
"I'm always robbed of happiness. Always." She sobs, and Elena calmly hands me a piece of paper. WE WILL KILL BOTH OF YOU, it reads. I hug both girls to me. "Its okay," I whisper, but one look from Eddy tells me that the situation is far from okay.