Class

The class I have is small, but cute. The insides are painted a light blue, and motivational posters that are ragged and ripped hang from the walls. Inhaling, I can see Mama Celestia ring the bell in her hands, a notion that sends the kids running in all directions. One by one, the girls start to fill in the class room, and take their seats. Licking my lips, I nervously watch them. I don't know these girls. What if they don't like me? Or even worse, what if I don't like them?
Eddy stops by the door, and hands me a book and a stack of papers. "This is the curriculum, and there are notes on what they have done so far. There is also an attendance, seating arrangement and a schedule. If you need be I'll be next door."
"Thanks." The second the door closes, I turn to the girls. "Good morning."
Nobody answers back. Okay. That stings, but whatever. "Does anybody want to save me the agony of looking through all the notes and tell me what you've learned so far?"
Fernanda raises her hand. "First off, you should know that there's a seating plan."
"Really?" I ask. I hated seating plan. "Why do you girls need a seating plan?"
"None of her damn business," Elena whispers to another girl in Spanish. Again, I'm wounded.
"How many of you speak fluent English?" I ask. All of the girls raise their hands. "How many of you know that I also fluently speak four languages, one of them happening to be Spanish. Did you know that, Elena?"
Her brown eyes stare back at me which such a hatred I have to step back. I have done nothing to this girl, and I will not fight a petty sixteen year old. I'm twenty three, for crying out loud. She sighs. "No, I did not know that. Now I do. Thanks, for sharing a piece of your pathetic life."
Leaning against the desk I cross my arms. "Okay, everybody stand up, and make a circle around the room."
After three minutes, finally the whole class is standing. "Okay. I don't know any of you girls. I don't know your story. I don't know what you're future may bring. Vice versa. None of you know me. None of you know my past troubles, and none of you know what my future will bring. However, for the next eight months, I will be teaching you. I have to teach you. And if that's going to be a problem, I think we should clear the air right now. Ask me anything, and I'll answer. I promise. In fact, we can make it into a game. If you tell me three things about yourself, not including your name, you may ask me a question, and sit down in your seat...that's assigned to you. Understand?"
Everyone nods.
"Whose first?" Everyone looks at each other. "Girls, I can do this all day."
Eddy's sister steps out of the circle. "I'm Fernanda. I want to go to America one day, I aspire to be a teacher, and I lost my dad to cancer two years ago. My question for you is, how come you know four languages?"
I chuckle. "You can sit, Fernanda. My official languages that I know by heart are Spanish and English. I learned Italian and Portuguese when I went to high school and university. Okay, whose next?"
A girl with big brown eyes and long wavy black hair steps out. "I'm Lissa. I've been at this orphanage for eight years now, I love math and science and I want to be a surgeon one day. What do your tattoo's mean?"
"I have three tattoo's. The one with the halo is for my mom who died when I was sixteen, the name Isaac is for my twin brother, and...the one that reads July 4th is a date I wanted to remember. It was a really...life transforming day for me." I have to bite my tongue after saying those words. Keep calm, Ana. Keep calm. "Next?"
"Lorraine. I've been here since I was a baby, I'm told. I love to dance, and one day, I want to go to Canada. Um, my question for you is...is this you're first time doing missionary work?"
"No. I've been doing missionary work since I was seven. I've helped people in India, Jamaica, Venezuela, Mexico, Saudi Arabia, and lots of other places. The last time I was on a mission was two years ago. I was in Africa for two weeks. You may sit."
And this is how it continues. I find out more about the girls, and I answer their questions. Where in America are you from? Have you ever been poor? Are you a coffee or tea person? Are you a boring teacher?
Everyone is seated except for two girls, one being Ms. Elena, and the other Scarlett. They seem to be as distant as the North and South poles.
"Come on, girls. Let's hear it."
Scarlett, a fair skinned girl with straight hair and beautiful gray eyes, rolls her eyes. "I'm Scarlett. Let's see. I love to read, I love cooking and one day I want to get out of this country. My question for you is, is it true that you're an alcoholic and depressed?"
Ha! I was waiting for it! "First off," I say laughing, "I am not depressed. And if I'm an alcoholic? I think that if I was to continue down the "drink until I die" road I would've definitely become one, yes. Does that answer your question?"
She nods and takes her seat. We all stare at Elena, waiting. She sighs and starts, "My name is Elena. My parents were killed by a gang, I love chamomile tea and one day, I want to be a judge. Like Judge Judy. Are you a virgin?"
I have to bite my lip to stop myself from screaming. I clamp down until I feel blood.
"Elena!" Fernanda and Lorraine hiss at her.
"Its okay, I promised that I would answer any question. The answer is, yes, I am a virgin. I believe that when you do share your mind, body and soul with someone, it should be with someone you really love. And they love you back, too. Is that all, Elena? Are you satisfied?"
She sits down in the back corner, an isolated desk. "Yea, I guess so."
"Why are you sitting all by yourself?"
"Nobody wants me to sit beside them. So Alexander put me back here."
"Sit beside Viola. There's an empty seat up here."
She hesitates, but eventually stands up and moves to the empty seat. There's a challenger in her eyes, and I want her to try it with me. I want her to bring her games to the table, because I know I can handle it. Clapping my hands, I stand up. "So! I ask again. Who wants to tell me what we are doing in at least one of the eight classes you have?" I look around the classroom until an unexpected hand rises. "Yes, Elena?"

"In English, we were learning about the parts of speech."

"Well," I say, with a smile on my face, "Thats a start."