Chapter 9

Tardiness was never a priority for Izuku. Despite that, Izuku showed up three seconds before the late bell rang. The class and his sensei watched Izuku enter with surprise. It almost has been three weeks since they last saw him. It's like finding a four-leaf clover or a pearl in a clam. For some reason, most had thought Izuku had finally left school—or died. Of course, for someone as rowdy as Izuku Midoriya, it would've only been a matter of time. However, amongst the crowd, the only one who wasn't surprised was Katsuki Bakugou. Katsuki was not nonchalant, and he did not care about Izuku's appearance. The blonde boy kept his emotions close to his chest. It was instead an out-of-character moment for Izuku to see. Katsuki was a bit off-putting, not dramatic or explosive, but he couldn't bother what Katsuki was and wasn't. Izuku had everyone's attention. And he hated every second of it.

Izuku brushed past his sensei through the almost dozens of desks to his seat in the back. Izuku skirted around and into his desk. Already, his classmates saw Izuku's black cast wrapping his left arm. Their whispers were hardly anything but quiet. Izuku's sensei was too focused on the muster sheets, probably looking through the last few days and weeks of attendance. Izuku didn't care. School has always been an annoyance that he had to go through. For once in his schooling career, Izuku needs to focus. It has been on his mind since that morning. You can hardly deem that dream a dream and more like an illusion cast upon Izuku while his eyes are closed.

"Midoriya," Izuku glances left, "What happened to your arm?" a classmate of his asked. Izuku couldn't recall his name at the moment. It would be too awkward to ask, but it would be rude to dismiss him. After all, only the school knows what "happened" to him. Izuku guessed by the way his sensei barely acknowledged him that he hadn't explained why Izuku had been out for a couple of weeks.

"Well," Izuku whispered, "To shortly put it, I got hit by a bus."

It's better to tell him as bluntly as possible. While the story is a bit (entirely) fabricated, it contains some truths. A few pieces of a bus did hit him. Hopefully, Izuku said enough to satisfy his classmate's curiosity. Izuku shifts his arm to a more right position. Sitting at these desks is uncomfortable.

"Huh? You got hit by a bus?" His classmate in a not-so-loud whisper. "How did that happen, Midoriya-san? Did you get into a fight?"

Where did the idea of him getting into a fight come from?

Izuku shrugs, "I don't know. I just got hit. One second, it wasn't there, and the next, boom." Within three minutes, Izuku set his notebook and pen on his desk. Taking his bag off his shoulder and the floor takes more time than it should, with only a single arm to work with.

His classmate wasn't the only one to ask about his arm. In every period and between periods, groups of classmates and students from other classrooms arrived to ask Izuku about his cast. Most of them came asking the same question about how he got injured. However, the students outside Izuku's class came with the most bizarre questions and gossip.

"Midoriya-senpai," a long-haired girl asks, "Is it true you fought with a dozen thugs simultaneously, only losing because they ran you over with a bus?" Izuku is assaulted with more stories, making him sound like an associated student with ties to the Yakuza. It's so dramatic. Izuku ignores the girl.

Everyone is so bothersome. Can't they leave him alone? Accept the story: he got hit by a bus, so what? There's no need to ask more questions. It's not any of their business, only Izuku's.

When lunch rolled around, Izuku escaped his classroom and headed toward the cafeteria. No matter what, no matter how, students of all years keep bothering him, asking small, minor, and personal questions. Too many, in fact, he might make him blow a gasket. What's so special about a quirkless boy? That is all anyone should know about Izuku. It makes him mad that everyone is paying attention to him only because of rumors. No one asked Izuku if he was alright. Or how his arm was, nor did he ask him how he felt.