Chapter 8

The doctor recommended that Izuku take off his cast for an hour at a time so the bone could recover correctly. He lay in a warm bath, melting his skin. The boiling water hurt only for ten seconds, and he quickly adapted to the heat as he rested in the tub.

Akane hasn't bothered him since he got home. She was there when All Might dropped him off at the doorsteps. She was the one who leaped at him and wrapped her arms around him. All Might didn't enter after Izuku. He left not long after. Inko hugged him right after Akane. Her hug wasn't as tight as Akane's. It was soft. Inko grabbed his head and pushed him into his chest. A feeling appeared in Izuku. It's one he hasn't felt since before, well, everything. A sense of being loved. A mother's love that warmed him. It calmed Izuku. Yet fear lingered behind his unstable mind. Were they watching him even now?

Izuku wanted to stay in the water's heat. It was nice and easy. The bathroom was silent except for the sound of Akane's show from the living room. It has been two weeks since he's been home. He doesn't have to return to school until the weekend ends, which is two days. He hopes they don't ask any questions about his arm. Or why he was absent for two weeks. All Might told him to tell his teachers and classmates that he got run over by a bus. Izuku questioned about why a bus? Izuku never wanted to ride another bus again. Will anyone believe their lie? It didn't matter if it was a bus or car, as long the school staff had a reason for his absence. Izuku doubts that his classmates will believe him very much. It'll be another round of gossip.

As of right now, he shouldn't worry about gossip or drama. He's at home. That's the future problem.

The water's boil slowly simmered to a lukewarm sensation as Izuku left the tub and changed into a clean pair of sweatshirt and shorts. It was something he had taken out of his drawers without much contemplation.

Izuku marched downstairs after drying his hair. He could hear Akane stifling laughter at some comedy show. He stopped on the final step of the stairs before entering the carpeted room. Akane sat on the 'L'- shaped couch while working on homework along the coffee table. She didn't lift her head to look at Izuku, but she more than likely knew he was there.

"What show did you want to show me, Akane?" Izuku asks.

She raises her head and eyebrow, "Right now?" she says with a plastered smile.

"Yeah,"

"Your timing is a bit bad. I'm stuck on this problem." Her attention focused on the papers before her. She stared intensely as she gripped her pen ironically.

"You have no problem watching your show. You know, the one playing on the TV with flashing colors. You were just laughing, too."

The family TV is modest, like the rest of the house. Even though Inko's husband is a hero, they don't choose furniture that shouts that fact. The TV hangs on the wall, floating in midair, and a vast pine cabinet sits underneath.

"That's true, but I need it as background noise. It's quiet without you around. Mom isn't loud, y'know. Anyways, how's life?"

"Anyways, where is she?"

"Who?"

"Your mom, who else?" Izuku says

"She's your mom, nimrod. We're family." Izuku rolls his eyes.

"Yeah, I know that, but where is she?"

"She was out shopping. She left as soon as you got home. She's preparing something special. It's going to be a nice surprise." Akane's grin starts growing.

Izuku moves close, going around the coffee table and sitting beside Akane. He looks at the TV and Akane's homework, easy problems Izuku had seen before, introductory algebra.