4: Hypnotic Trance

Start from the beginning

White and blue energy still occasionally twirling together whenever the swords clashed, a delicate and slender lotus danced atop the roof of the Main Hall with a fascinating pillar of jade, white and violet robes flapping in the wind, scarlet ribbon and white headband fluttering behind their jet-black hair. Any onlooker from down below would only have seen a whirlwind of purple and white, swiftly zooming across the roof, leaping, spinning, brandishing, every move and slash light-footed and dexterous.

But to the moon up above and the Jade Rabbit on it, the so-called 'sword fight' was nothing but a mere courtship dance.

And a mercilessly seductive one at that. Unaware to the fighters themselves, by the end of two hours, both faces were flushed dark red. Whether it was exhaustion from the fight, or the heat rushing through their veins at the heart-tugging sight of each other's sweating faces, neither knew.

Wei Wuxian jumped a few steps back and stopped to take a breath.

"Tired already?" Bichen sunk into the wood of the roof.

"You wish." 

Of course, Wei Wuxian was tired, he had just had a practice duel with his shidi! Recharge, Wei Wuxian, you can't lose to this fuddy-duddy! He chided himself. Tch, I wish I had alcohol. Thinking of the Emperor's Smile he used to drink back then, he smiled. He could feel his mouth watering at the memory of the sweet and mellow wine. I'll finish this fight and go have some wine from our cellar, he nodded to himself. The alcoholic's self-motivation did wonders. All at once, Wei Wuxian regained power double his earlier level, fighting more furiously than ever.

Hanguang-Jun was, for one, amazed.

Elegant and graceful as his Lan competitor, but restless to finish the fight to have a sip of liquor, Wei Wuxian slashed and crashed relentlessly, determined to win. Every last fight between them had ended in a draw. This time, he had to win.

Lan Wangji wasn't as hasty. On the contrary, he felt an incomprehensible desire to let this fight last forever.

Or was it the fight?

Maybe it was the night.

That sounded right. He wanted this one night with Wei Ying to last forever. This night spent sword fighting together with him like this, free of social scrutiny. This night where he, Hanguang-Jun, Second Jade of Gusu, and second in line to his sect, was absolutely equal with the Jiang servant.

Being equal felt good. They could fight more openly.

For some unintelligible reason, though, Lan Wangji badly wanted to keep fighting with this graceful man, whose every poise and move was well-sophisticated and refined. Jiang Fengmian had raised the boy well.

Lan Wangji frowned while he flourished Bichen to block Suibian's endless attacks, and sliced underneath Wei Wuxian's feet. He just couldn't understand why he was even thinking all this. A usual fight with Wei Wuxian called for all his attention. Today, even though Wei Wuxian was just as relentless, his own mind seemed to be drifting away. If he kept up this trance, he might lose...

Impossible, he grumbled and swung Bichen sharply at the purple-robed fighter. Surprised by the sudden rise in energy in the attack, Wei Wuxian spun on one foot and twirled away from the glare of the sword, Suibian at his side. The attack was too fast to block.

Twirling. Spinning around, pirouetting. Nimble feet whirling the svelte lotus away from his wrath. Jet-black hair flying behind the small back, red hair ribbon — probably as precious as his own Lan headband — spiralling around the dainty figure.

Lan Wangji felt his head growing dizzy at the sight.

But then– Sure, Wei Wuxian was nimble. But being agile didn't mean you also saw the raised plank of wood behind you.