"I was not planning on leaving." Mark whispered making Natalie open her eyes.

And again they just stared at each other, no one speaking. Not words at least.

"You didn't have to stay, it's not like we are together." Natalie finally spoke. And despite what she was saying, she was grateful that he stayed. Whatever it was about him, it helped her sleep. He helped her sleep. And breathe. He helped her rest.

"I know that, you don't need to remind me." Mark tried to not seem bitter. He didn't want to guilt trip her. Even if it feels like we are, Mark thought. "Do you feel better?"

"Yes." She admitted. "You make a good pillow." She cracked a joke. She closed her eyes again, enjoying the last few minutes of peace and quiet. "Thank you" she mumbled. And it didn't seem enough. "And thank you for not making this weird." It should have been weird, with their history. And somehow it wasn't. But Natalie was still thankful that Amber was sleeping over to her friend's house that day. 

When Mark stayed quiet, she opened her eyes again. And yet again, his eyes were on her. "What?" She asked softly.

Mark shook his head, unable to hide the small smile on his face. "You're beautiful."

☾ ⋆*・゚:⋆*・゚:⠀ *⋆.*:・゚ .: ⋆*・゚: .⋆

Derek had just entered the hospital, a big yawn escaping his mouth. He was the one who didn't sleep that night. His girlfriend's night chat with her best friend had kept him awake. And he was sure he looked like Natalie the last few days. 

But his next yawn was cut off when Natalie and Mark entered the hospital together. They were chatting and laughing. Derek narrowed his eyes following them with their gaze until they separated into different directions and he followed Natalie who was waiting for the elevator. "Nat." He called out.

"Good morning." Natalie turned her head and smiled when she saw Derek walking up to her. 

"Is there something you'd like to tell me?" He asked her, not holding back. 

"No. Like what?" Natalie asked confused.

"Like if you're sleeping with Mark again?" Derek was worried about her. He was worried because she hadn't been okay the last year. Not even for a day. And he was worried because he wasn't sure of Mark's intention. And frankly he was not a big fan of the two of them together. He thought of Natalie as his sister and he didn't want to see her getting hurt again.

"Depends how you define sleeping." Natalie narrowed her eyebrows, not feeling up to explaining herself. But Derek had accused her too many times of not sharing with him. 

"I define it in having sex."

"Then no." She said not explaining how she was actually sleeping with him, in the literal meaning of the word. But that was not something she could explain. She definitely hadn't explained it to herself. "What do you want Derek?"

"I am your friend and I am worried." He tried to hold back his yawn, but he failed.

"I am doing fine, despite you. You look like me the past few days." She didn't lose the chance to mock him. 

"Meredith kept me up most of the night—"

"I don't want to hear about your dirty, nasty—" She interrupted him.

Causing him to interrupt her. "—talking on the phone with Cristina."

"And they stole your sleep? Did you say Yang goes or I go?" She continued mocking.