Natalie opened one eye and groaned when she saw Mark. She turned her back on him and put the pillow on her face. "I've just been having trouble sleeping. That's all. Don't you ever stay awake at night?" She asked in a muffled voice. 

"Yeah, but for a good reason. Done it with you sometimes." Natalie could basically see his smirk even with her back turned on him. So she couldn't help but throw the pillow right on his face. "Hey!" Mark complained. 

"You are annoying me." Natalie sat up and glared at him.

"I know. I love it." He smiled and just stared at her. For a little too long.

"Don't do that." She warned him when he gave her that look that made her heart beat a little too fast. "You and I are not going to work, you know that."

"You actually don't know that." Mark corrected her.

"I know that, because nothing works for me. Not even sleep." She stood up and walked out of the room. Making Mark more worried than before.

☾ ⋆*・゚:⋆*・゚:⠀ *⋆.*:・゚ .: ⋆*・゚: .⋆

The flood was under control for the time being and Natalie had scheduled the surgery her patient was waiting for. "Grey." She called out the girl that found out the cause of the patient's pain. "Mr Patmore's condition is extremely rare...and you nailed it. You can scrub in." She said, hoping that at least one of them would be excited about this.

"Now? You're doing the surgery now, with the flood?" But Lexie was not excited. Because she had promised George that she would help him so he could write his intern test.

"Flood's contained. Our man's been in pain for seven years. See you in surgery." Natalie turned around to leave.

"I can't. I'm sorry." But Lexie stopped her. "But I'm really busy helping the Chief... the Chief's intern. I... Thank you, but maybe next time?"

"No, Lexie, there won't be a next time. Pathetic." Natalie shook her head and walked away.

☾ ⋆*・゚:⋆*・゚:⠀ *⋆.*:・゚ .: ⋆*・゚: .⋆

But for Natalie's luck the surgery didn't happen. Hahn needed the O.R. for an emergency and since all ORs were out because of the flood, hers was the last one. And she gave it out without much fight. 

"How'd it go?" Lexie found the doctor outside of the hospital. Ready to leave. Natalie gave her a look without answering. "I know. I'm pathetic. And George doesn't know I exist, I missed my surgery. Could you tell me how it went?" She asked.

"We didn't get to do the surgery." Natalie replied, hiding the fact that she was thankful for that, because she could barely keep her eyes open. "Mr Patmore's been shipped off to another hospital. And he will be out of pain by this time tomorrow."

Lexie seemed disappointed. Disappointed, mostly at herself; that she turned out a surgery like that. Disappointed that her patient didn't get to have the surgery performed by Natalie. 

And Natalie noticed.

"Lexie." She smiled at the younger woman. "It's not pathetic being in love with someone. Pathetic is putting yourself second. Pathetic is not realising that you deserve better. Never settle for second best Lexie. Never."

☾ ⋆*・゚:⋆*・゚:⠀ *⋆.*:・゚ .: ⋆*・゚: .⋆