TWELVE

When George woke up the next morning the bed beside him was empty. The space where Iris had been was still warm but she was nowhere to be found in the room. Her clothes were left on a chair in one side of the room, where she had left them last night, but there was otherwise no trace of her. George rubbed his eyes, thought to call for her but decided against it. Instead, he pushed himself up and slowly left the bed.

Chatter was heard from below him, the shop open it seemed, and he guessed Ron had gotten his message. He sleepily trudged over to the bathroom in search of Iris, although she wasn't there. He reached the living room next and seeing she wasn't there either, he walked through the door leading to the kitchen. Iris was there, standing in front of the counter, holding a mug in her hands, looking at the wall. She noticed him almost at once. When she trailed her gaze to him, she sent him a smile.

"Good morning," she greeted him, reached for the mug beside her and handed it over to him. "I made you tea."

"For how long have you been awake?" he wondered as he accepted the mug.

"A little less than a quarter of an hour," she shrugged, "I didn't want to disturb you."

"I had thought spending a day in bed would be nice, though," he pouted slightly and Iris couldn't help but laugh.

"Sorry, baby. You should have let me know so I wouldn't have left."

"I'll do it next time," he murmured, took a sip of tea. "Where did you go?"

"I wanted coffee but all you have in the house is tea," she admitted, "so I stopped by the shop below and asked Ron if he had any. Thankfully, he had, so he shared some with me and then I returned back here, made you your tea. And then you woke up."

"You left the apartment?" he shook his head. "I didn't hear a thing."

"That's alright," she assured him with a smile. "It's quite unusual, that you don't have coffee in your apartment. I guess I'll have to bring some next time I come by."

He raised a brow over the rim of his cup. "I'm under the impression your plan is to expand into more than one apartment and I'm an easy enough victim."

"Your impression would be correct," she teased, eyes crinkled in mirth as she looked at him. "Your hair is standing in odd angles. It's cute."

"I'm not cute," he huffed, reached to smooth down his hair at once against Iris's protests. "There. All better."

Iris refrained from telling him about some of the hair he had failed to smooth down. "So, my sources tell me you liked me ever since you first saw me."

His eyes widened somewhat before he cleared his throat, raised his cup to his lips and spoke against it, attempted to play it cool. "Of course. It was love at first sight."

Iris giggled, hid her smile with her mug as George took a sip, looked away to hide his embarrassment. She didn't plan on letting this go so easily, though.

"Love at first sight, you say?" she teased, eyes glinting. "That sounds awfully sappy, George. Don't tell me you believe in it?"

He pointedly looked away, "I don't, you are right. I didn't fall in love with you the moment I saw you but I did think you were interesting. I guess your sources are right."

Her expression softened and she walked closer, left her mug on the counter. Slowly, she pushed his mug to the side so she could look him in the eyes. George had to fight with himself to not look away.

"I'm glad, baby."

He blinked, "Glad about what?"

"That you thought of me that way," she replied cheekily, leaning back once more, reaching for her mug. She took a sip as George did the same, anxious as he stole glances at her. He knew she had more to say still. Not too long later, she confirmed his thoughts. "They said you haven't had a girlfriend before."