It was foolish yet I never regretted it. The drive was long and after five very long hours, I pulled up to my old family home and it still looked the same as it did when I was a child. My village of Holmes Chapel was just as desolate and eerie as the streets of London, with no humans around to fill the empty space. I eventually plucked up enough courage and climbed out of the vehicle before I broke into my old home and scanned the building for any bloodsuckers.

It was empty and void of any members of my family, which was how I preferred it to be. My feet had carried me everywhere except for the garden, and that was where my day seemed to take a turn for the worse. I found a wide trail of blood leading from the backdoor and out onto the patio. My gut twisted at the sight and I recall the bitter taste that built in my mouth.

I took slow and steady steps towards and door, and pushed it open cautiously as I headed out into the garden. Still following the trail of blood, I ventured across the path and stopped abruptly in my steps once I noticed a foot poking out behind one of the bushes at the top of the grass.

My first thought was shock and horror at the sight, and my pulse began to pound through my ears. With the alarms inside of me ringing, I ran towards the body and then fell beside it on the grass. I gulped down the bile rising in my throat and rubbed away the forming tears in my eyes. My mother lay in the grass, bloodied and lifeless with a large gash on her neck.

Those bloodsuckers had killed her too. I had no time to grieve for her though, as I noticed two more pairs of legs a few feet behind her. There lay my step-father and sister, both in the same lifeless and ill-natured manner. They were dead, just like my Lola.

I remember sitting in the grass for a long period of time, merely pondering over my life choices and the significance of living in that sordid world any longer. I did not want to die as they did. I would have much rather fought for them and spent my days protecting their honour. I hated Vampires; they ruined everything that I had.

My feet carried me back towards the large house, where I travelled up the staircase and into my room. I had kept a lot of my belongings there as I still travelled home during the holidays. My mind was blaring as I threw objects across the room, trashing the area before I finally came across the photographs that I had been looking for.

I hurriedly grabbed all of the memories I that had been captured over the years and piled them on the patio in the garden. My feet then rushed towards the garage, where I retrieved a shovel, a box of matches and some lighter fluid.

My thoughts were urgent and I had not realised the danger that I was putting myself in. All that mattered to me at that moment in time was the respect that my family deserved. I spent an hour or so, digging a deep hole in the middle of the grass, ignoring the darkness of the night as it slowly surrounded me. I then placed the bodies into the ground, covering them and giving them a proper burial which they would never had had otherwise.

I created a fire using some wood from the garden and lighter fluid, with one match causing the end to a lot of sudden sorrow inside of me. I threw each and every photograph I owned onto the scorching flames and watched as the papers crumpled and burned, utterly resembling how I felt.

I remember crumbling to the ground in a heap as the emotions finally overcame me. I sobbed loudly as the fire burned. It was as if the rest of the world had frozen whilst I wallowed in my own self-pity. If any other being saw me in that moment in time, they would have thought I was completely mad.