Chapter 25 - Why

Chapter 25 – Why

Sarah’s POV:

I stared Jareth. He was supposed to be dead. But he wasn’t. I shook my head and said,

“I am dreaming. This is all a dream. Who are you really?” He sighed and said,

“I am Jareth. If you didn’t want me then you shouldn’t have called for me. You should know by now that words have power precious.” I drew back against the wall of the tent and closed my eyes. This was all a dream and I would wake up.

I couldn’t handle what my mind was putting me through. I couldn’t handle it. I took two deep breaths and opened my eyes again. Jareth was still standing before me. He reached gently and ran his hand over my jaw bone.

It had to be real. His touched was just like I remembered. Warm and living. Strong and even tingling with magic. I looked up into his mismatched blue eyes and fainted. For the first time in my life, I completely fainted.

The last thing I saw before I slipped into oblivan were Jareth’s blue eyes. I felt his hands grab me and then I blacked out.

A little while later, I felt myself come to and remembered what I thought was a strange dream. I struggled to get up and then heard a calm voice saying,

“Stay there, Precious. You shouldn’t be trying to move so quickly.” I snapped my head towards the voice and saw Jareth smiling at me. I scowled and sat up. My head swam and I am almost collapsed again. Jareth appeared at my side and carefully laid me back down on the cot.

“I told you not to get up, love. I knew this would happen.” I looked up at him and said,

“You’re just an illusion. Please, tell me you’re Berry. I am seeing Jareth everywhere.” Jareth shook his head.

“No, I am not an illusion. I am quite alive. ‘Berry’ was simply a form I took. I am as real as you.” He form a crystal ball which turned into a glass of water. I quickly took it from him and drank it down while trying to process the information he had given me.

I looked up at him and the first question that came from my mouth was,

“How?” He tilted his head and said,

“What do you mean?” I gasped for breath and tossed the glass away. It vanished before it hit the tent wall. I had so many questions running through my head. Why didn’t he come back? Why did he help me as another person? How didn’t he die? How did he convince us so well? Why…? How…? I couldn’t think.

“Love, I can’t read your mind except when you are in bird form.” I shook my head to clear it. I was still unsure if he was real but I might as well play along with it.

“How did you not die?” Jareth sat back on his heels and took my hand gently in his un-gloved hands.

“It’s a long story but I will tell all.” He took a deep breath and started to tell. “It was the night before the battle and I was lying on my cot, thinking. I was thinking of you and what might happen when I returned. You didn’t seem to be happy with me around and that unsettled me. I never wanted to see you unhappy. So, I came up with a plan. I am not one for suicide. No, that is a shameful act for me.

“My plan was to make a copy of myself and send him into battle. He would die and most would think that it was me. The only problem was that I couldn’t make a perfect copy. My eyes are mismatched. It’s a birth defect I think. The copy came out with perfectly matched eyes. I was sure no one would notice.

“The day of the battle, I hid in a cave and sent my copy into battle. My mind and magic went with my copy so everyone was sure it was me. I fought as bravely as I could so as to keep up the illusion. In the end, I killed the Dullahan but then my copy fell. I made sure it was the most convincing death and my mind and magic returned to my real body.

“I spent three days in a coma because of the immense magic drain. When I revived I found my way to the Aboveground and decided to live there. Messages would be sent to you and you would be queen of the Labyrinth. You would be happy and free of me.”

I was in stunned silence for a while as I thought. Jareth believed that I would be happier without him. He believed I didn’t want anything to do with him. Because of that belief he had left me. He had provided me with a way to do as I pleased and be in no one’s control.

If he hadn’t I would have been in Maitland’s control and who knows what might have happened. Jareth really did love me. I knew it now. He had always loved me.

“What were you plans for the surface?” He glanced at me and said,

“I was going to see if I could turn into a human somehow. I couldn’t move aboveground and remain a Fae. Once I was human, there would be no turning back. I thought it was best. If I were a human, I would be as good as dead to the Underground.”

I looked away from him and realized what he was saying. He would have given up his magic, given up any hope of coming home, given up everything just because he thought I would be happier without him. I was confused though. Couldn’t he have just sent me back?

“Jareth, if you wanted us separated, why didn’t you just send me back?” He sighed and laid back on the ground, propping up one knee and throwing the other leg over it.

“Because there is no reverse for those who become a Fae. You were made a Fae. I was born a Fae so I hoped there might be a way to change. And, Precious, I never wanted us separated. I always wanted to be with you. But, as I said, you were never happy.”

I just stared at the tent wall in somewhat of shock. Understanding this was almost more than I thought I could handle. He loved me more than himself. I thought he would never do that.

“Jareth, what would you do if I told you I loved you?” I looked over at him and I saw shock on his face. He turned onto his side and said,

“I wouldn’t know what to say. You can’t love me. Long ago, I came to terms with that.” I shook my head. I couldn’t let him live one more moment believing something that was the furthest thing from the truth.

“Well, Jareth, I do love you. I tried to tell myself I never would but I did fall in love with you. Your death affected me horribly. The dreams, the memories were becoming more than I could handle.” He just stared at me. I tried to give him a smile.

He reached his hand forward and touched my cheek.

“You love me?” I nodded.

“I do, Jareth, I really do love you.” He opened his mouth to say something then closed it. He smiled and attacked my lips with his. I had forgotten how good it felt to kiss him.

For a moment I was stunned but then moved my lips in sync with his. He grew more passionate and touched my lip with his tongue. I opened them and the moment I gave him the tiniest opening, he swept his tongue in.

I held my eyes closed and silently begged him never to stop. He slipped one arm around my waist and pulled me flush with his body. I kept reminding myself that we were married and it was okay. My heart skipped a beat as he rolled me under him and kept kissing me.

When his lips left mine, I scowled but then almost moaned when they attacked my neck. His hand moved from my back to my stomach and the moment it slipped under my shirt, I stiffened. He kissed my collar bone and I finally moaned.

“Jareth,” I managed to say. “Jareth, I think…” He looked up at me and I immediately felt the loss.

“What precious?” I looked into his eyes and said,

“I know we are technically married and this would be alright but I think we need to stop for now. Let’s at least wait until we return home.” I tried to smile at him. He sighed and gave me on parting kiss on my lips.

“Very well, you wish is my command. But, when we get home…” He trailed off and kissed me soundly before standing up and pulling me to my feet. I blushed and straightened my shirt and jacket. I smiled at him and hugged him.

“Jareth, you are officially forgiven for leaving me alone. And you are never to leave again, right?” He nodded and held me close against him.

“No, never to leave again.” I removed my arms from him and sat on the cot. He joined me and wrapped one arm around my shoulders. He was about to say something when a messenger burst through the tent door and said,

“We are under attack!”