Chapter 14 - War Plans

Sarah's POV:

 I awoke the next morning and found myself looking into the chest of Jareth. Okay, that was an interesting wake-up call. I looked up and realized he was still sound asleep. I smirked and settled back down beside him. I actually kinda liked it. After all, he was good looking and now that I got to know him better he wasn't as bad as he had seemed.

He could be serious sometimes. It wasn't that much but he could be if he wanted to be. I looked up at his face and saw his eyes were open and he was smirking. I glared and hopped out of bed. He laughed and I glared again.

"What is it with watching me?" He chuckled and stood up.

"Whats wrong with that? You are my fiancee after all. Why can't I look at you?" I didn't bother to tell him that made me very uncomfortable. Something about the way he looked at me. I wasn't that pretty but his eyes seemed to say that I was. I don't know what was with him but something was.

He always said he loved me but I wasn't too sure. I mean, he hadn't said it for quite some time. Maybe it was all a trick like everything was to him. The more I thought about it the more sure I was of it. And it hurt just a little. 

Jareth got out of bed and walked over to me. He rubbed my shoulders.

"Are you alright, Precious? You don't look well." I sighed and leaned back against him. He held me up and massaged my shoulders.

"Oh, its nothing." I said softly. He moved in front of me and raised his eyebrows in suspicion. I smiled sadly and he took a deep breath. He moved until he was but a few inches from me and whispered,

"Precious, don't make me get it out of you by any means I must." I stepped away and playfully asked,

"What means might that be?" I hadn't the slightest clue what he was talking about. Suddenly, he appeared behind me and slipped his hands around my stomach.

"I think you know." He kissed me neck lightly. I pulled away and managed not to blush. I should have been angry at him but I wasn't. I only felt the heat of the blush which I was fighting. I looked back at him and he was smirking. I glared and turned my back.

He walked up behind me and whispered in my ear,

"What is troubling you?" I shrugged him off and whispered,

"Nothing you can do anything about. Just let me be. I am fine." He frowned. I realized then how little I saw him frown. I realized then I much preferred him to smirk then to frown. He really did seem to care. I felt bad for keeping it from him but I didn't know what to do. I didn't love him and maybe it was better this way.

Somehow I couldn't quite believe it. He appeared before me and lifted my chin with his pointer finger.

"If you say so, love. If I can do anything about it then tell me. I shall be glad to do what I can. You forget that you are my fiancee and therefore your problems are mine." I had to bite my tongue to keep what I wanted to say from coming out.

He had just called me love but made it seem like it was just a title. His mismatched eyes held no emotion as he kissed me gently on the forehead and walked away. This was a new thought and I knew I should have asked him and talked to him about it but I didn't see the need. He would say he loved me but it never meant he meant it.

The Fae was a liar. He told me Fae couldn't lie but I wasn't sure if I could believe him. I looked to where he had been and noticed that he was gone. I sighed and changed into another dress. I had been wearing that one way too long.

A few moments later I was called for breakfast. It was a short affair and nothing much was said. There wasn't anything to be said. There was a war and everyone knew what they were doing.

Some time after supper, we flew home. The journey home was a quite one. There was no mischief or mayhem. We just flew home.

When we landed, I went straight to my room and stayed there. I wasn't feeling well. I had wanted something a lot more from that journey. I thought I was going to have fun but no, a war had started. What was going to happen to me? What was going to happen to Jareth?

If he went to war and was killed what would happen to me! I panicked at the thought. I realized what must be done before Jareth went to war. I didn't love him and was seriously doubting if he loved me but we had to be married early. Married before the war. 

I twisted my hands together and called out,

"Jareth, I need to talk to you." He appeared a moment later with a confused look on his face.

"Precious, what's wrong? You look worried." He reached out and touched my cheek gently. I frowned and said,

"Jareth, what happens if you were to die in battle?" He looked at me in surprise.

"Is the hard-headed Sarah actually interested in my well-being!" He laughed and I shook my head, forcing myself to believe I really didn't care what happened to him. He stopped laughing and said, "What do you mean?" I bit my lip softly and said,

"What will happen to Underground, the Labyrinth, the Goblins, and, well, me." He frowned and thought for a moment before answering.

"The Underground will take care of its self as it has done for millennia. The Labyrinth and the Goblins will get a new king. And you, precious, will be married to a Fae of my father's choosing." He growled out the last part while I took a step back and whimpered,

"What! He will choose my next husband?" Jareth nodded.

"Yes, he will. Probably the richest and most well liked Fae. A Fae Human is a rare things. Sometimes they are look down upon but you are different then most. You would be liked in the Fae Realm." I sat down on my bed and said,

"Is there any way to stop this?" He leaned against the window sill and said,

"One way and one alone. We must be married before I die. If you were my wife for even a few minutes then you would be queen of the Labyrinth and its Goblins forever. My father would have no control of you at all. Of course, he would consider it his duty to find you a match but as the queen you would have a right to remain single for the rest of your life."

I frowned and knew there was only one way. We would have to be married before he went off to battle. I stood up and said,

"Jareth, I don't love you and I am not sure you love me," He tried to interrupt but I wouldn't let him, "it really doesn't matter. I refused to tossed around like a thing. We must be married before you leave for war." He turned around to look at me. I saw seriousness in his eyes. He took my hand and kissed it before saying,

"Very well. We shall be married the day after tomorrow." He walked away and I sobbed myself to sleep. What had I gotten myself into?