Epilogue

Nylian and Luana had been living in Kikora for over two months, helping the members of the council run Kikora and recover from it's recent attack by Sarius. King Eldrin, along with his commanders, were six feet under, and Tessara was nothing but ash and bones. Nylian thought by now he would've settled into his new quarters in the castle, but he hadn't.

Tessara was an ant compared to Kikora. Everything in Kikora was larger - the trees, the forests, the rivers, the kingdom. While the pines that stretched for miles reminded Nylian of Tessara, the place still didn't feel like home. It was a foreign place where he didn't feel he belonged. Even sitting with the other council members, knowing full well he had most of the control of the kingdom, he still felt obsolete.

Useless.

"Commander Nylian," A stern voice spoke.

Nylian looked up and met eyes with Ambassador Hera, a Freak with horns instead of ears. It was weird. "Yes, Ambassador?"

"Have you been listening to a word at this table?" Hera scolded. "You're the one who should be leading this meeting, not me," she moved her gaze to another Freak. "Lord Samus, what's your opinion on the matter at hand?"

Lord Samus was a Freak with so much body hair he stunk of wolves and pine. "I think we need a new leader..." Samus eyed Nylian as if insulting him without words. "I'm not saying that the Commander is incapable of ruling Kikora. I believe he can, but it's clear that the people do not agree."

"I've had all the appropriate training. I'm fit for this position, we all know this!" Nylian stated.

"A-and w-we know that C-Commander..." A shorter Freak spoke from the other end of the table. Richa was her name. She was short for a Freak, and still quite young, but wise beyond her years. It was clear that the council needed her. The council was desperate for people. "W-We all k-know what the p-people want..." She stuttered.

If only she was more confident, she would be the one leading the assembly.

Ambassador Hera stared back at Nylian. "The people of Kikora don't want to be led by a Commander. They want to be led by a Royal!"

"That's impossible!" Ambassador Malon yelled, his voice was hoarse as he spoke. He was far too old to be on the council, his face was contorted by heavy wrinkles, and his pointy ears looked like scrunched up paper. "All of the Royals have been murdered by Sarius! There's no one left! Commander Nylian is the only Freak with the status necessary to lead Kikora!" He defended.

Nylian would've been thankful for Malon defending his position, but he couldn't shake the feeling that Amari was still out there. Alive. He'd spent so long trying to protect her from her parents and her destiny as a Royal. But now, she was the only one left.

There's no Royals left to take her mind. Perhaps it's time she leads by her own merit.

"That's not exactly true, Ambassador Malon..." Nylian started.

The room turned to Nylian with glints of hope sparkling in their eyes. They waited expectantly, even Hera seemed to glower with less anger than usual.

"There is one Royal who may still be alive... One Royal who could bring the South and North of Kikora back together. One Royal who could help us defeat Sarius..." Nylian spoke dramatically, suddenly enjoying the reactions of the council members around him.

"W-which Royal is still a-alive, C-Commander...?" Richa spoke.

"Amari. Princess of Tessara." Nylian watched the room's reaction to her name. Some of them smiled, but some others...

"You mean that traitor!" Ambassador Hera shouted. "A Freak cannot possibly survive in the wasteland that long!"

"Trust me. Amari is alive."

"Preposterous! Amari never had any physical training, she was too weak. Too naive. That girl wouldn't have even been able to kill a bird, let alone a man!" Malon argued. "Besides, even if she is alive, she's a child who doesn't know the first thing about war."

"I saw her myself. Less than two months ago." Nylian leaned forward, giving a long stare to each of the council members. "She would be 18 by now. Barely."

Ambassador Hera screwed up her nose. "What does it matter? She's been missing for two years. She can't possibly become Queen!"

"You said you wanted a Royal to lead, didn't you?" Nylian spat at the room. "Amari is the last Royal. She's the only Freak who has the right to the throne. It's her, or me. Last decision."

"Fine. But where is she?" Hera crossed her arms.

"We'll send out search parties into the wasteland. She can't be far."

Hera huffed. "Send search parties? Into the WASTELAND! Commander Nylian, have you gone completely mad? Our people will be hung in the streets! The humans are ruthless, horrible, disgusting creatures-"

"If Amari can survive two years out there, then our guards with years of experience can survive a month at least." Nylian turned from the table and headed for the door, leaving the council to argue the details in his absence.

Nylian headed for his room, passing by the hundreds of guards stationed in the castle.

Amari, you've run for long enough. It's safe now.

It's time for you to rule.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

AUTHORS NOTE

I'd like to thank you for reading my first completed novel - Into the Unknown! It's been a long journey trying to get this done, but I hope you all enjoyed the story.

Into the Unknown is NOT done! There are another four books on the way in this series! I hope you're excited to read more about these characters and their lives after the end of the world.

Keep a look out on my Wattpad and Twitter for any updates on the series. Thank you again, and see you in Book 2: Into the Fire!

~ Tamesha

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~