Chapter 42: Breaking the News

"Did you get any sleep?" Will asked.

Nico shook his head.

"Do you need anything?"

He shook his head.

"Do you want to stay in bed?"

He nodded.

"I'm....I'm going to tell Chiron, okay?"

He nodded again.

"Come get me if you need anything." He told him, walking out of the cabin. He walked across Camp, passing the spot where they had stood the night before. The grass had blackened. Will assumed that was Nico's powers. Sometimes when Nico got upset or angry the grass would wilt underneath him.

He found Chiron teaching a camper archery.

"Chiron?"

The centaur turned towards Will. "Ah! Will, good morning. Do you need something?"

"Could I talk to you for a second?"

The look on Will's face must have registered in his brain, because Chiron's gaze turned serious. He trotted over to a spot nearby, and Will followed him.

"Now, what is it you need to tell me?"

"Jason Grace is dead."

Whatever he was expecting to hear, it wasn't that. His face fell, and Nico thought he could see tears in his soft brown eyes. "I assume Nico sensed it?"

"Yeah."

"And how is he?"

"He's....he's not taking it well. At all."

Chiron nodded. "When did this happen?"

"Last night."

"Shall I inform the rest of Camp Half-Blood?" Chiron asked.

"You probably should."

Chiron patted Will's shoulder. "I am so sorry for your loss. You are relieved of your duties as Camp Counselor so you can grieve."

"Thank you. Oh, and Chiron?"

"Yes, child?"

"I was wondering if I could have permission to sleep in the Hades cabin, if Nico wants me to. He didn't want me to leave last night. And I don't want to leave him alone if he doesn't want to be alone. He had to grieve alone for years already, over Bianca."

Chiron thought about it for a moment. "I assume I can trust you not to do anything...er...irresponsible?"

"Of course you can trust me."

He sighed. "Alright, then. Just don't go around telling people." Then he trotted off.

Will walked towards the infirmary. As he walked across the grass, he passed Austin.

"Will, what's the matter?"

"I'm sure you'll find out soon." Will said, still walking.

"What does that mean?"

Will ignored him. He knew it was rude, but he was afraid that if he said anything more he would burst into tears right then and there.

He made it to the infirmary. There was nobody in there at the moment, which was rare. There was almost always somebody in the infirmary.

He went to the back corner of the room, and pulled the curtain. He sat on the bed and cried.

How many times had he done this, exactly? He started the tradition when he came back to Camp after the 2nd Titan War. He wasn't well. He would sit in the back after his shift was over and would cry. Usually it was about his siblings that had died, but when he lost a patient he would cry about that.