Chapter 3 : A Proper Date

Start from the beginning

"Even if I want to meet him, I wonder why he'll meet me. I mean..."

"Okay, stop. He wants to meet you, but he's not sure how to ask so that's why here I am in between."

"Oh, since when did you become a ... negotiator, for the lack of better words. Or maybe match maker would be more fitting huh?" Sharanya didn't miss her chance to mock. A smile playing on her lips.

"Fine, I have your answer. I will set up a dinner date for this Saturday, sounds good?"

"Woah. Hold on. Don't do that." Sharanya exclaimed.

"Di, where are the soup sticks?" Came a shrill voice from the kitchen. Sharanya took a deep breath before shouting back, "the jar with the orange cap on the right shelf, third from up."

"Gosh, I swear my neighbor could hear that!" Gargi remarked.

"So funny. I ... I will text him."

"Wait, I guess something went wrong. What did you say?"

Sharanya shook her head. Her friend could be a drama queen at times. "I said I will send him a text message and ask him if he'd like to meet again."

"REALLY?"

"NO. I was just trying to understand how that sentence would sound, so I said that." She mocked.

"Shut up, Sharu!"

"Now, if the purpose of your this call has been met, can I end the call and see what Akshu is upto?"

"Yeah, cool. You may also want to teach her how to manage that kitchen because my sixth sense tells me... that you're going to have a new home soon!"

"Oh, God. You have the typical-nosy-aunty-nextdoor-syndrome."

"It's called being excited for your best friend. I am going to get off this call and start preparing."

"Preparing? What?"

"To be the dazzling Indian bridesmaid."

Sharanya sighed. "You're getting your hopes too high up. You're warned!"

"We will see. Good night. And, keep me up to speed with your texts."

"Of course, will take a screen shot and send it you."

"Perfect!"

"You wish!" Sharanya muttered with a smile.

"I did that every time I chatted with Arun. So you must too."

"I will see what I can do," Sharanya replied with material haughtiness.

"Okay, then... I am going to give him aheads up that you will be texting him to ask him out."

"I was kidding!" Sharanya exclaimed.

"Me too! Bye!"

"Bye!"

* * *

Nikhil sat at the bar starring at his bottle of beer. He had just closed a good client and thought it would be worthwhile to celebrate. Only that his celebration was as hollow as ever. 

He looked up at the group that had occupied a table in his line of sight. They were laughing, chatting, raising toasts and having a good time.

He didn't know why, but it was just hard to find good friends like that. Maybe if he had been a little less competitive and a little more friendly during high school and college he'd have a group too. Sighing he moved his gaze around the room. His eyes stopped at a couple, who couldn't keep hands of each other, clearly very infatuated by each other.