Chapter 31

"Agents Romanoff and Barton, you two are being assigned to a case in New Jersey" Secretary Ross explained to the pair of Avengers.

"Is there a threat?" Clint asked, confused as to why they would be called in to investigate the case.

"The FBI agent on the scene will explain it to you once you arrive." Ross stated, silently sending them out of his office.

"Looks like we are going on a road trip to New Jersey" Clint walked beside Natasha toward their car.

"I'm driving" the red head stated, getting into the driver seat and buckling up.

~~~

"There's our guy" Clint nodded to the FBI agent who was talking with some local cops when they drove to the edge of the city. The agent notices them and walks over to join them by their car.

"James E. Woo, FBI." He introduced to the pair who were occupied looking at the town ahead.

"Agent Barton" he stuck out his hand to shake Jimmy's.

"Agent Romanoff, shield. What's the story here, agent Woo?" The red head asked, nodding towards the town ahead.

"I've got a witness set up down the road in Westview, and this morning, it looked like he flew the coop." Woo explained the situation.

"Your missing person is in the Witness Protection Program?" Barton asked back.

"I have contacted known associates, relatives..." he started to list.

"And let me guess, none of them have seen him either?" Natasha cut him off.

"No. None of them have ever heard of him. Something seemed hanky to me, so I took the first flight out of Oakland to interface with local law enforcement, which is when I encountered a new wrinkle."

"What is that?" Barton asked. Woo directed them over to the police officers, leading towards the two men who were leaning against the hood of their car.

"Here we go." A sheriff spoke up to the other one as they joined together.

"Pardon me, Sheriff. Would you mind repeating your claim about Westview to my colleague here?" Woo asked him.

"No such place." The sheriff stated.

"You're saying the town of Westview, New Jersey, doesn't exist?" Clint pressed on, eyes darting with confusion to the sign reading Westview.

"It's what I keep telling your G-Man here, but he won't listen." The sheriff said.

"I see. And, um, I'm sorry, what town are you from?" Clint poked the question.

"Eastview."

"Thank you, Sheriff. I'll reach out if we need any further assistance. I, uh, pulled phone numbers for all the residents. I'm only through the Ds, but so far I got Diddly Squat." Woo said as the sheriffs drove away in their car.

"So you can't reach anyone inside and everyone on the outside has some sort of selective amnesia?" Barton looked to Jimmy with his observations.

"This isn't a missing person's case, agent Barton, it's a missing town. Population 3,892." Jimmy corrected.

"Why haven't you gone inside to investigate?" Natasha inquired.

"'Cause it doesn't want me to. You can feel it too, can't you? Nobody's supposed to go in." Jimmy explained his reasons, causing Clint to sigh. Clint nodded along and walked towards the trunk of their car, pulling out a case to reveal a shield drone that he had modified.