Chapter 9: Katsuki's Birthday

Start from the beginning

Katsuki woke up around 8 to an interesting aroma, it smelled kind of burned but overall smelled nice. He followed his nose down the stairs and into the kitchen. By this time Izuku was plating the final tamagoyaki, a grumble catching his attention. He looked up turning his attention to the blonde, "Good morning Kacchan," he said with a large grin on his face. "Morning," he said as he looked at what Izuku was doing. Seeing the plated tamagoyaki he looked back up to Izuku's face. "You made this?" Katsuki asked surprised that Izuku would have tried something like this. "Yeah, auntie really helped though, I couldn't have done it without her help." He said as he rubbed the back of his neck. Katsuki ruffled Izuku's hair as he started to walk to the dining table, "Good job." Izuku looked at Katsuki with a puzzled look. "But, you haven't even had any yet," he said as he started to bring the first two plates to the table. Izuku had successfully-ish made the tamagoyaki meaning that none of it had been thrown out. So that meant that there was enough for Mitsuki and Masaru as well.

They all sat down putting their hands together, saying "Itadakimasu" in unison before digging in. Even though it wasn't close to beating some of the best tamagoyakis that Katsuki's had, it was the thought and love that Izuku had put into it that made it his favorite. One part of Katsuki's roll was burned and another was a little too gooey, but he really liked it and was proud of Izuku. He had never seen Izuku cook before so he thought it was a great first try. "Not bad nerd," he said looking at the greenette who was already looking pretty proud of himself that he probably didn't give anyone food poisoning. He looked at Katsuki, seeming to grin from one ear to the other, glowing with pride. "Thanks, Kacchan," he said taking another bite of the tamagoyaki. Even though it wasn't perfect, Izuku was proud of himself hoping that Katsuki was having a great start to his birthday. It would be a lie to say Katsuki wasn't enjoying the first part of his birthday already feeling special.

Once they finished their meal they put their hands together once more saying thanks, "gochisou sama deshita." Afterward, Katsuki got ready for the day, showering, brushing his teeth, and putting on some fresh clothes. Once that was done, Izuku dragged him out the door making sure to grab the money that he had specifically set aside for today. The two walked out the door, Izuku heading toward Masutafu station. (Masutafu, being a fictional location in Japan can technically be anywhere so I'm using that to my advantage (although it made finding a location and food item that's actually sold there a pain in my ass)). Izuku already had pre-bought tickets since he had already planned out the whole day. The train was booked to be a direct travel meaning that they didn't have to be crammed into a subway with a bunch of people like Tokyo station (where people can make a living off of pushing people into train cars). This was a nice trip, everyone getting to sit down in seats, watching as scenery as the train passes by it.

The train headed for Odate, a city in the very far north of the main island in Japan. Musutafu (where the show takes place, a fictional location) is north of Tokyo, about a two-hour train ride away to be exact. Musutafu was a few hours away from Odate but that gave the two enough time to arrive there at lunchtime. Odate is a smaller town housing 71 thousand people. Now that's no big number, but compare it to cities like Tokyo which has a population of over 30 million (the most populated city in the world) it's considered much smaller in comparison. The train ride was overall relaxing for the two of them, looking out the window looking at the scenery in their pillow-like seats. The blue soft seats felt like they were laying in a bed, both of them falling asleep about halfway through the trip. Izuku leaned on Katsuki's shoulder, Katsuki's head tilted toward Izuku. As the two slept beautiful mountains, meadows, and rice farms zipped by in an instant due to the speed of the train.

As the train slowed, it dinged loudly causing the two to wake up, leaving the train. Izuku started dragging Katsuki once more to a local store, not a restaurant but a store connected to the station. He went in buying two boxes for about 2000 yen ($20). Katsuki was handed one of these boxes looking at the packaging. It was Odate's famous ekiben, a bento that's different depending on the place, usually eaten during trips on the train. The couple sat down at a nearby outdoor table so that they could look around seeing the beauties of the town as they ate. The ekiben consisted of rice, chicken, egg, eggplant, and many other assorted food items. They put their hands together saying, "itadakimasu" before digging in. As they ate they looked around, seeing the trees sway in the slight breeze. The breeze that hit their faces was relaxing, the food too was delicious. After a few stressful weeks, the relaxing day was nice, not having any specific place to go at a certain time.