d u k e

this is loosely inspired by "My fiancee is in love with my sister", i wouldn't really recommend those who get annoyed easily to read this since the development is quite slow and the beginning will get on your nerves a lot

He's in love with my sister. 

A love that would later cause your death for over six lives. 

You're the oldest daughter of a Marquis, (Y/N) Bythesea, a girl with a normal appearance and decent skills, nothing too catchy to look at. You've lived your life studying, whether it's manners or history. Your sister is the opposite of you. A girl with a sick constitute that tends to worry others whether it is intentional or not. 

Her name is Sophia Bythesea, a girl whose appearance was so breathtaking yet fragile-looking, making almost anyone feel the need to protect the poor ill girl. Everyone loves her, including you and well, your fiancee. 

From when you were a young age, you were promised to Duke Basten as his son's bride. Your father had been best friends with him and was once saved the duke. As a form of gratitude, he offered you, his firstborn as a match for his best friend's firstborn that happened to be a boy. The two closed the deal with a written promise, a piece of paper that bound the two of you together.

During your childhood, you would often come to visit the duke's castle to play together with your fiancee. And although the first impression was rough for the both of you, you two soon figured out your preferences and dislikes. Talking about history until late at night, playing ball together in the garden, or just laying down on the grass to feel the sun's warmth.

It was a magical time for you. Your parents still loved you and your fiancee liked you as well. 

But it all turned downhill when your mother got pregnant again with a second child. 

Your mother had a hard time having her, she would vomit thrice a day, not a day without nausea, and for the fourth till sixth month, she had to be bedridden due to her body being so weak. Your father was so busy with your mother that he barely looked at you anymore. You who were still six years old didn't want to further distress your parents with your study so you stayed quiet. 

Sophia was born prematurely and had to be monitored twenty-four seven. And even after she grew up, her body was still weak and often would get sick. But the child was so bright that she still ran around the garden and laughed while bedridden. 

The two of you grew close as years went on, she admired you and highly regarded you as the best sister in the world. How could she not? You took care of her when she was sick, accompanied her to tea parties, trained her manners, and even down to the littlest part such as brushing her hair. 

Her bright personality made you love her so much, even if you knew that she was also stealing away your parents' love from you. 

They no longer pay you any attention, your grades were left for you to decide, you had to arrange your own debutante, buy your own clothes, hell they even forgot your birthday! And at this period, you were no longer visiting your fiancee since your parents deemed it unnecessary. Instead, they told you to focus on taking care of Sophia since you are her elder sister. 

Once, you retaliated and complained about the unfairness you are receiving, but they replied by slapping you in the face, saying, "You are the older sister! You should not be jealous of your little sister! Don't you see how much she's suffering right now? How could you be so ungrateful!"

At that moment, you finally realized that things have really changed. Your parents didn't love you anymore.

But that didn't stop you from loving Sophia. You could never bring yourself to hate her since she is innocent. She is also one of the only people to care about you, besides your personal maid.