e m p e r o r

Perhaps it was the cruel touch of fate, or was it pure coincidence? No one would be able to tell.

"...! Don't go! What if they caught you? I won't be able to forgive myself for that. Let's go together, please. If we have to die, then let's die together."

"My love, if you escape with me, you would be deemed as a traitor as well and I can't do that to you. I promise I'll see you again after all this is over so please-"

"NO! You know very well I would rather die than live that life again with those people... with him. Please, ...."

"... Alright. But promise m-"

"There they are! Kill the traitor and save her highness!"

"Let's go (Y/N)!"

The two of you ran together for a long time but strangely enough, you don't feel tired. It felt like hours before the both of you finally stopped. You couldn't hear the sound of footsteps anymore. Did they finally lose you?

"Princess! For the umpteenth time, please wake up! The empress would like to speak with you!"

You groaned with dissatisfaction as your personal maid removes the blanket off you. The usual warm comfort the blanket gave you was no more, replaced by the cold wind coming from the window. 

"Close the window, will you Xiao Li? It's freezing."

Xiao Li huffed before shutting the window shut, leaving you with less freezing air. You slowly opened your eyes and get up from bed, a frown already graced your mornings. This day really started on the wrong foot. It's been so long since anyone in the palace has bothered you, and now all of a sudden your so-called stepmother has decided to come grace you with her voice.

"We'll have to be quick princess or else the empress will be mad."

The look of fear in the little servant was evident. It was clear as day that making the empress mad is the last thing anyone would want to do. You were no exception to this. 

Xiao Li quickly got you dolled up and ready to meet the empress who was in the throne room together with the emperor and his children. 

Whilst she does this, you ventured back to the dream you had before you woke up. You've been having the same dream for a while now. It always stops after that specific sentence. You figured it must have been your previous life. Were you a princess as well? or someone important? and who was your lover? Is it possible to meet in this life as well? 

As soon as the guards announced your arrival, all eyes were set on you. Had it been your little self, you would have trembled in fear. But as years went by, you grew immune to it, not giving the slightest fvck to anything.

You bowed down on the floor to greet the emperor and the empress. 

"This fifth princess greets the emperor and the empress."

"You may rise."

The emperor said while the empress eyes you.

"I see you are quite late."

"This fifth daughter is sorry for my clumsiness. I will not repeat it again."

"Well, matters not. We're here to celebrate a joyous day after all. A little tardiness is forgivable." She giggled with her fan covering her mouth, making her look like a virtuous woman.