27// "I'm Falling Down A Dark Hole"

27// “I’m Falling Down A Dark Hole”

I do a double take. Blinking several times trying to come to terms that Alisa thee Alisa Wilders is here, the girl makes no move to come inside. She just stares at me, while her whole body is shivering uncontrollably, her dress completely ruined by the sleeting rain. The front of my shirt and face are now wet with the blowing rain that’s being thrown inside the open doorway.
“Hatter” Alisa speaks again against the almighty torrents. She sniffs once and looks me in the eye her soaked blonde hair falling in her face.
“Hatter why is a raven like a writing desk?” she takes a step towards me, physically drained. I step out into the rain to wrap my arms around her. The rain is heavy and ice cold, my whole body is being thrashed by tiny icicles.

“I haven’t the slightest idea” I say in her ear. I pull her towards me and inside the house. Letting the door shut and the sounds of the thunderstorm muffled. The girl in my arms continues to shiver, her warm breath against my neck as she holds me like a child.
“Michael who’s at the door?” Mom turns down the hall and stops short as she spots me holding Alisa. At the words of a stranger Alisa pulls away from me and wipes away the layer of rain on her face.
“Mom, this is Alice” I say delicately. Mom’s mouth is hanging open in disbelief, her eyes wander down to the green dress that is hanging off Alisa’s body like wet paper. There’s a dripping noise and soon a pool of water is by Alisa’s feet, her hair dripping down her arms, goosebumps appearing all over her bare skin.

“Oh my dear” Mom gushes and walks towards Alisa, placing a hand on her arm, “we need to get you out of those clothes sweetheart you’ll freeze” my mind didn’t catch anything after get you out of those clothes.
“Come on sweetheart you need a hot shower and warm clothes” Mom wraps her arm around Alisa’s shoulders and guides her up the stairs, “Michael, get a towel for her” faltering slightly at the prospect of Alisa being in our shower I scramble to get a towel from the linen cupboard upstairs. Mom opens the door to the bathroom and immediately starts a shower. The white towel in my hands I watch as Mom whispers to me,
“I thought you said that she was still at the institute”
“She was” I whispered back as I stepped into the bathroom, Alisa still hadn’t spoken since she had gotten inside.

“Can you help me?” her voice had gotten a little steadier since being inside. I nodded,
“Yes of course” I told her quietly. She turned around so she wasn’t facing me. The back of the emerald dress was an intricate ribbon and button system and I think she wanted me to undo them all. Taking a cautious step forward my hands suddenly were jittering like Cherry’s. The ribbon started at the nape of Alisa’s neck and extended right down to the small of her back. Swallowing hard I reached up and felt the silky bow slip through my hands as I pull it slightly and it came away. Alisa turned her head towards me, her right hand holding her blonde hair over her shoulder out of the way. The emerald coloured ribbon snaked along the trimmings until the dress was undone.

Alisa watched me from underneath hooded eyes as my fingers worked at unbuttoning the rest of fastenings. When the dress was completely undone Alisa raised her hands, drew the dress off her shoulders and let the dress drop to the floor with a wet thud. I twisted around harshly, unbelieving that she just stripped in front of me. I keep my eyes on the door and suppress the want to turn around and see what kind of underwear she’s got on…if any. I hear the peeling of underwear off skin and the patter of feet as Alisa steps into the shower. I let out a breath I didn’t even know that I’d been holding and go to walk out of the steaming bathroom.
“Hatter?” Alisa’s voice is slightly muffled by the downpour of water against the tiles. I turn slightly as I see the silhouette of her curvy figure distorted in the shower glass.
“Yes Alice?” I manage to say back after I’ve swallowed down my urge my open the shower and hop in with her.
“Where am I?” she asks, her voice genuinely curious with a hint of uncertainty.
“Safe” I answer and walk out of the bathroom.