II. FRIENDSHIP

9. A New Dawn

Their Bangalore Home:

Siddharth stretched, waking up, and his eyes involuntarily wandered all over the room. The sleep was sufficient as they dozed off early returning from Mumbai yesterday.

Avni entered the room just then as if his heart called her in a voice of its own. Clad in a beautiful maroon salwar kameez with slightly damp hair tied in a loose bun, she appeared fresh.

Siddharth's eyes sparked, noticing the sindoor in her partition adding to her beauty.

"Get ready, Siddharth," Avni said, folding the sheets as he stood up.

"Seems like the wall clock isn't working," Siddharth sighed, noting to replace it.

"It's showing the correct time," Avni's eyebrows frowned, arranging the pillows in place on the recliner.

Siddharth's eyes widened at the shocking revelation. He took a few moments to believe the situation.

"Did sun rise from West today?" Siddharth teased her dramatically, looking out of the window, and added chuckling, "It's 6 am, and you never woke up before lunchtime."

Avni's mouth formed a perfect 'O', and she threw a pillow in his direction that he cleverly escaped rushing into the washroom.

Siddharth raised his eyebrows in surprise, spotting a colorful rangoli in front of the house. He admired the artist in his wife coming from the jog.

Siddharth settled on a bench in their lawn, inhaling the fragrance spread by plants around. They had numerous plants and trees in their house.

Siddharth observed how few flowers from their garden went missing untying his shoelace. They seemed to be plucked.

The prayers from Pooja Hall filled the atmosphere pleasantly as he passed by the entrance.

Siddharth smiled, observing the neatly arranged white shirt, navy blue jacket, trousers, tie, and socks.

The changes are strange yet sweet.

He felt like a married man in simple words.

Siddharth descended the stairs dressed in Avni's choice of clothes. He involuntarily paced to the prayer room, hearing the aarti sound. He noticed the idols decorated with missing flowers from the garden.

The House felt like home...

"Seems like this color doesn't suit my skin tone," Siddharth pouted, taking the aarti.

"No, It's perfect," Avni declared after observing him for good two minutes.

"Maybe the tie doesn't go well then," Siddharth sighed, adjusting his matching navy blue tie.

"It compliments your white shirt well," Avni announced, engrossed in brushing his suit lapels that seemed wrinkled.

"This watch....."

Avni cut him off, frustrated, "You look fantastic, Siddharth. I'm sure of your female staff drooling over you!"

"But the woman named Mrs. Avni Malhotra isn't," Siddharth whined dramatically.

"Maybe 'cause you're already hers," Avni gestured him to follow, walking towards the dining table.

Siddharth's mouth watered, inhaling the aroma of dosa and coconut chutney she served on his plate.

"It tastes delicious," Siddharth complimented, taking a bite.

Avni smiled, bringing two glasses of juice from the kitchen. They finished the breakfast with occasional words now and then.