7. Best Gift

"Get the red, Avni. Go for it!" exclaimed Kishore, encouraging her as they teamed up playing carroms.

It's almost late night, and Siddharth hadn't returned yet. He left in the evening when Avni was about to enter their room.

Renuka suggested playing carroms to divert Avni's attention, who anxiously glanced at the door for every two minutes. Kishore and Shankar paired with Avni while the ladies teamed up.

Avni gulped down her throat as everyone cheered for her. The red was an easy coin, but she sucks at carroms, to be honest. Kishore and Shankar helped her with the striker position and patiently explained the amount of force she must apply to fetch the coin making it easier every time.

Avni couldn't think straight as she was the center of everyone's attention. Just when she was about to hit the striker, a deep husky authoritative voice stopped her. Her stomach was in knots as Siddharth placed his hand above hers, adjusting the striker position, and settled beside her greeting the family.

Avni turned to him, inhaling his subtle intoxicating scent. She looked down in embarrassment as Renuka chirped in a teasing tone, "Avni has been awaiting your arrival, Kanna!"

Siddharth's eyebrows furrowed in confusion for a moment, unable to comprehend if she needed anything. He nodded, smiling, acting like a regular husband.

Avni couldn't concentrate on the game anymore, feeling Siddharth's presence. Her mind was partially preoccupied with Siddharth's thoughts and her plans even during the game. She only played, unable to deny her in-laws and parents.

Avni turned to Siddharth, pleading him to finish the game with her eyes. Siddharth obliged, and they won, bagging the red followed by a white.

Everyone retired to their rooms giggling, leaving some alone time for the couple. Siddharth rushed to their room to freshen up while Avni arranged the plates on the dining table.

Avni's heart skipped a beat as she took in the sight of Siddharth descending the stairs. He appeared fresh and boyish in his white full hands T-shirt and contrasted black track pants. His thick ruffled hair that he set with his hands moving towards her added to his charm.

Siddharth pulled the chair, already starving, as Avni brought the hot rice she cooked in the meanwhile. She served him standing by his side as he hurriedly folded his sleeves, ready to relish the Lady Finger curry.

Siddharth was about to push a morsel into his mouth before a thought crossed his mind. He swiftly glanced at Avni, whispering, "Did you eat?"

Isn't this every wife's wish?

Avni's lips turned up, hearing his concerned voice. She considered herself extremely lucky and truly gifted at that moment. The way he thought of her before he ate touched her.

No matter how good a husband is, they tend to forget such small affectionate gestures dismissing them as unimportant. Women, on the other hand, crave for them. Most men presume jewelry and expensive gifts satisfy women, but nothing can be farther from the truth. If food is the way to a man's heart, such thoughtful, caring gestures easily pave the path into a woman's heart.

Avni nodded in a 'No,' and Siddharth pulled a chair for her declaring sternly, "Don't wait for me from now on, Avni. I might be late sometimes." He would be lying if he denied feeling happy at that moment. The thought of her waiting for his arrival just like his mother delighted him.

Siddharth served her as usual, and they ate in pure silence. He observed her lost state throughout but didn't question anything. The idea of Avni thinking about her 'Love' freaked him out.